cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static BOM import from separate workspace

Static BOM import from separate workspace

I've got a situation where we have imported a large amount of Heirarchy items from Autodesk Vault and we need to link a an assembly of items to a specific repair.

If we were able to import a static snap shot of the assembly of items and then be able to assign a QTY New to some of the items.

7 Comments
nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted
Hi DSL145, I'm not understand your request. Please elaborate and provide additional information. thanks, Trung
dsl145
Advocate

I would like to be able to pull in an item from a different workspace, similar to how you can add an item in the 'Managed Item' tab. The difference would be that I would like to be able to pull in the item and any items linked to it (i.e.. the item and it's hierarchy) and then have the relationships shown between the items on that page. You can currently do this with the 'Bill of Materials' tab, but I hit a limitation from my next stage.

The next thing I would like to do is to be able to assign a qty or property to the item that is stored just within this workspace. I can explain this best by describing this in the scenario of our repairs:

In a specific repair job (in the 'Repair' workspace) we need to pull in the assembly for the repair and know all the components and their quantity in that assembly (pulled from an 'Item Master' workspace). Once that import has been done, we need to be able to say how many of those quantities actually need to be made as new. On a typical repair job, you may pull in that this repair has 3 parts, 2 bolts, and 2 lockwashers... but you only need to purchase 1 part, 1 bolt, and 0 lockwashers for this particular repair. The 'Bill of Materials' tab currently doesn't allow you to assign such workspace specific quantities and properties (such as Repair/Re-Use/New) to the imported items... it sees them as required changes to the items that you imported.

Right now, I'm using the managed items tab to import the items in the assembly 1 by 1 and then adding the properties to the fields I've created. It's very cumbersome, and isn't pulling default values correctly, but it's getting me by.

DonovanJr
Advocate

I too have a similar need for being able to copy a item & its BOM to a separate tab as a flat list to allow quantity and/or item changes without effecting the original Item or BOM.

Our use case mat not be exactly the same but the mechanism I believe would be similar (copy an Item and its BOM to a new record). For us is where we have existing peices of equipment that we need to modify for a specific project, in the same method as DSL145's repair record.

We would have our engineering group create the BOM of the equipment and have them listed in the BOM tab of our project workspace record (we would have multiple equipment listed each with a BOM. When engineering was completed the Project manager of the project would move the workflow forward and the BOM's would be "exploded" to a flat list in the grid tab of that project record. we would then update change quanties for ordering or modification.

BD

dwilliams_luxbp
Contributor

Hi, 

It looks like this idea was accepted some time ago, has it been implemented? I'm also looking for a way to copy a BOM out into a grid tab so it can have comments and edits on each line item. 

Thanks,

Denise.

benderk
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Hello - 

Since this topic is over 6 months old, and we would like to review it in more detail internally in the context of Modern before potentially moving into a development backlog.

Thank you,

Keri Bender | Global GTM Business Strategy Manager, Product Lifecycle Management

benderk
Autodesk
Thank you for submitting your idea. Have you tried the Modern Interface lately? We request that you review your idea in the context of the Modern interface. If your idea is not addressed, we invite you to create a new Idea in the context of Modern so that it can be addressed accordingly. Sincerely, Keri Bender | Global GTM Business Strategy Manager, Product Lifecycle Management
benderk
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report