cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass Manipulation of Attachments

Mass Manipulation of Attachments

Evaluting the process of a physical Design Review meeting, we've identified a want for a Mass Checkout/In feature.  Additionally, it would be nice to have the option to simply Mass Delete attachments.  This would give the user the option to bypass the "history" functionality (which is very useful to "build" by replacing files with all the marked-up then updated versions) which becomes very time-consuming when dealing with large numbers of attached files.

A "real" solution might be to simply embrace full Design Review functionality and workflows in the varous Autodesk 360 products!  .dwf(x) is your own file-type... why it always seems to be an afterthought, I don't understand.

For any design review process to work efficiently, we need attributes of the file (.dwf, for instance) that can be searched and sorted.  It is desireable to know the approval status without opening the file (this is more about files that are created and/or exist on my computer)!  Secondly, it could save a lot of file re-creation (and allow the re-use of the file to stop round-tripping from the cloud) if the .dwf (and .dwfx) document had the option of whether-or-not to print either Mark-ups, Stamps or both!!!!

Now, I must admit where a "cloud-only" mark-up/review/approval workflow falls apart (as of today)... it's for those of us who'd like to use the .dwf(x) as an "underlay", right under the sheet-to-be-corrected.  This use of the marked-up .dwf(x) allows the Autocad/Inventor user to complete and track the tasks as they are done... in their native application!  If Autocad/Inventor could open a cloud-based .dwf(x), edit it, then re-publish it... transparently... it would be easier to complete the Design Review process.  This is more about the Design Review product than PLM360, but I'd think that Autodesk would like to have one solution, rather than the several vaguely-similar markup/review approaches they currently employ.

To summerize my suggestions;

1. Mass Checkout/In in PLM360
  2. Cloud-ize all of Design Review for consistant use in all Autodesk 360 and off-the-shelf products
  3. Add file attributes to .dwf(x) which indicate Approved status (if they don't exist)
  4. Add the option of printing DR markups, stamps, both or neither (if it doesn't exist)
  5. Add the ability to preserve mark-up and stamps upon recreation of .dwf(x) without creating another file (perhaps closing the open file as part of the "Republish Sheets" (in Inventor, for instance) process would allow the user to maintain one file... one file name... ? the current process won't over-write the open file but the Republish commands are unavailable after closing the underlay mark-up.)

Thanks,

John

3 Comments
nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted
Hi John, You have a lot of things on this one request. There are some things on this list that we will potentially add to the list and some are future considerations. If you can help breakdown this list and prioritize the level of importance for each the requests. Thank you, Trung
nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

aaron.tw
Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report