cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Print Views

Advanced Print Views

Hi Everyone

I would really love some improvements from the advanced print view

1. I need a way of having global control over all print views. eg, if I have a company footer then I want to change It once and apply to all print views however this is just an example and It would be useful for a lot more then that.

2. I have created the print view I want in HTML and I have It looking the way I need It however It looks horrible when I put It into PLM 360, It appears that the HTML code used by PLM is very old and is not able to read CSS at all, even if It is embedded into the html code itself.

I really need this to be resolved, currently I am not able to create anything near professional enough to give to a client.

Attached is a screen shot of the report straight in Chrome, the other is what It looks like coming out of PLM. It will not take you long to work out which one is out of PLM.

Thanks Autodesk

Regards,

James Tennent

10 Comments
broepke
Autodesk

Hi James,

There is a bug with the rendering where the CSS of our application is getting applied to the ADV print view and causing things like those horizontal lines.

I can tell you as a work around or just as a way to leverage it - if you send this ADV print view as an email it will not render it that way... an interesting way to deal with it.

But second - I'll escalate this and see if we can get this address shortly.

jamest
Contributor

Thanks Brian,

Yes it does seem to turn out much better when emailed, i still want to be able to print , however this will do until fixed.

While on the topic, can you also look at;

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-PLM-360/Advanced-Print-view-images/m-p/3741397

Thanks again

James

broepke
Autodesk

I'll tack that on to the same release - see if we can get them both fixed.

Chad-Smith
Advisor

James, it seems very similar to some of my issues with the Advanced Print view.

Although, I do like your Global Control for the likes of Footer information.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-PLM-360-IdeaStation/Advanced-Print-View-Using-MS-Word-docs/id...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-PLM-360-IdeaStation/Advanced-Print-View-Various-print-issues/...

I still think that a better overall solution needs to be discussed rather than current method.

I'm not necessarily referring to removing HTML, but rather making it a little more intuitive to use. I know in other threads I have already mentioned that the likes of Footers and page numbers are an issue. These are some of the more basic formatting issues that we take for granted with documents like out of Word.

If we can bring these into PLM, it would be great.

Maybe we need an Advanced View settings page in the Setup? This way we could create snippets of code which can then be injected into the Advanced View code.

I know I have also made note elsewhere if we could have our own CSS definitions to apply to all reports. Once again, it could be a form in the Advanced View settings on the Setup as mentioned above.

There hasn't been much discussion regarding this on other threads either, but maybe if we could outline some of the basic needs for a well formatted document (understanding full well that this is not a word publisher), it may provide ADSK some insight as to what we require. From there you could provide us with some options on a HTML framework which is achievable, and go from there.

As James has mentioned, and so have I in another thread, that this is an important feature which kind of needs to be correct and functional. I know we want a digital world, but we still need 'documents' and 'reports' printed, especially for contractual signing off purposes.

If it helps, I'll go first;

• Table of Contents
  • Proper Headers and Footers
  • Page Numbers
  • Repeat table headers across pages (I know this may be difficult)
  • Don't split table cells across pages
  • Better CSS control. This includes Tables (including borders - line types, colours and weights), Text Styles, but ultimately being able to control all main ID's and Classes
Bill.Bogan
Advocate

Having access to the CSS would be a great help in formatting document output to meet client requirements.

BiggePLM
Advocate

All of the above,

90% of the processing we will be doing will stay within PLM,

But when I interface with my Customers a professional looking document is required.

Current implemtation of Advanced Print View forces me to use the report tool and export the information to excel and then I copy & Paste into my companies pre-formated word or excel forms.

Takes the joy out of the process control that PLM fosters.

Bob Donovan

nguyentru
Alumni

advance print view.PNG

nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration
HI James, We recognize the need to improve our advance print view. We will add this to our enhancement list. If you have a formatted form in excel, you can bring into the Advance Print View. You need adjust the setting to fit to a page, along with removing some unwanted grid lines. You can highlight the entire form in excel and crtl V (paste) into the box window. This will allow to have a pre-design form in PLM. Some of my customers have utilized this feature for simple quote sheet or print out. And use the widget to preset the item fields http://help.autodesk.com/view/PLM/ENU/?guid=GUID-5656EE8A-2DB3-476A-AF53-BCF14541EDC4 thanks, Trung
benderk
Autodesk
Thank you for submitting your idea. Have you tried the Modern Interface lately? We request that you review your idea in the context of the Modern interface. If your idea is not addressed, we invite you to create a new Idea in the context of Modern so that it can be addressed accordingly. Sincerely, Keri Bender | Global GTM Business Strategy Manager, Product Lifecycle Management
benderk
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report