cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to see linked items from the "linked" side

Ability to see linked items from the "linked" side

Presently, I can create a picklist which can link me to an item in another (or the same workspace).  But there is no way for me to see that relationship from the other side.

There is some abiltiy to do this using the BoM and Relationships.  But BoM is a very specific relationship model, and Relationships are too generic.

I would like the ability to add a field type on the "linked" object that references the linking object.  The field could be read-only, as I mostly want it for reporting.

For instance, if I have an "Inspection" that has a field "Inspected Item" that references an "Item", I'd like to put a "inspections" field on the "Item" workspace that shows me all the inspections. This item has been included in.

Eventually, I can see this being enhance to support:

• editing the relationship from the "linked" side
  • Showing fields other than the description (a mini-grid) for instance in this case, I'd really like to see the "status" of the inspection.

8 Comments
nguyentru
Alumni

manage.PNG

nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted
Hi Mark, This is a very interesting request. I just want to reach out to see if other options may also work for you. Have you consider using the Managed Item tab? If you create a connection in workspace A to workspace B, It will automatically create a link in workspace B under the workflow tab. In the workflow tab, it provides a link back to workspace A and the current state, last action, date of last action, performed by, created on, and created by. Please look at the image. thanks, Trung
MarkBirenbaum
Explorer

Yes, thank you for your suggestion: I should have said BoM, Relationships, and Managed Items all provide some variant of this capabilty. But then I lose out on the other things I use it for.

Such as:

1. Differniating between the different types of relationships.  In this case I don't have the problem but sometimes I have multiple types of relationships to single other workspace.  For instance, if I have an Inspection, I might identify the parts that are broken, and the parts that are recommend to replace (i.e., a newer part).  The relationship tab does support that sort of differentiation.
  2. I can't put validations on relationships
  3. It's not scriptable
  4. It's just plain a nusiance to have to switch tabs to change this one detail
  5. If I want to change the item I have to delete the old one and add the new one.

The example Inspection workspace provied used a linked pick list for exactly these reasons.

nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration
HI Mark, I will add this to our feature list. thanks, Trung
nguyentru
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

Status changed to: Under Review

Hi @MarkBirenbaum ,

Since this topic is over 6 months old, and we would like to review it in more detail internally in the context of Modern before potentially moving into a development backlog.

Giliar Perez
Product Owner - Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk Canada Co.

benderk
Autodesk
Thank you for submitting your idea. Have you tried the Modern Interface lately? We request that you review your idea in the context of the Modern interface. If your idea is not addressed, we invite you to create a new Idea in the context of Modern so that it can be addressed accordingly. Sincerely, Keri Bender | Global GTM Business Strategy Manager, Product Lifecycle Management
benderk
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report