Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtered Picklist Odd Behavior

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BiggePLM
567 Views, 3 Replies

Filtered Picklist Odd Behavior

I believe I understand the behavior I am seeing but not sure if it is the correct behavior or a bug?

Here is the set up: (See attached images for details)

1 workspace (Basic with no-workflow) (Master List)

4 fields - picklists from four separate workspaces (WS1 - WS4)

For each record you can have the following combinations of these fields selected

One of the first three WS must have value but only one

WS 4 can have a selection or be null.

I have a computed field in this WS that states which field WS1, WS2 or WS3 has a value, I then set up three picklists on this Master List Workspace using the Computed field as the filter. This gives me a picklists with only records that have a value for WS1, WS2 or WS3. Within in these filtered lists you will have records that have the WS4 field have values and null.

Now the issue is when I go to a third WS and use these pre-filtered picklist in a set of filtered picklist fields the filter set up so that I can select say values from the key field of the picklist from WS1 and the seconf filtered field is set to filter on the WS4 field and it should show only matching records that have the same WS1 value selected in the first filtered WS field.

Well that didn't happen, the second filtered picklist field shows all records from the pre-filtered picklist. (Well almost), After much trial and error it concluded that the pre-filter is ignored or not working for the second filtered picklist and showing matching records where the WS4 fields are null. I feel that this second filtered field should not show records that don't match the selected value from the first filtered field and not sure why this is occurring. I narrowed into this conclusion after deleting all records from them master list that have a value in WS1 but null for WS4 and the filtering fields then work correctly.

Question is, is this the expected behavior or a bug? 

I have a work around using a computed field and filling in a dummy value (don't pick this one) when a record has null in the WS4 field in the master list. This allows the second filtered picklist field to not have record is can match. It works but sets up a quirky set of selection fields and I can check using validation to ensure that the dummy record is not selected but still, yuck.

Bob Donovan

Bigge Power Constructors

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dvirh
in reply to: BiggePLM

Hi Bob,

It is pretty hard to follow the setup here, but if I understand it correctly the four WS[1-4] picklists are filtering data from one workspace called 'Engineering Master Drawing List'. And the workspace that is at the top of your attachment is a different workspace. It also looks like you are trying to use data that is in the 'current' workspace to prefilter data that is in the picklist. Is that correct? Although this is an interesting and useful workflow, this is not how the prefiltering work. You can only prefilter based on data that is in the source workspace for the picklist (meaning the 'Engineering Master Drawing List' workspace).

I apologize if I misunderstood the problem. It is pretty hard to follow without seeing it in person.

Hagay Dvir
Engineering Manager
Fusion Manage
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
DonovanJr
in reply to: dvirh

Yes you understood correctly,

The example I was using was incorrectly set-up to use the Engineering Drawings Workspace rather than the Engineering Master Drawings Workspace. Once corrected it did function as I thought it should and gave me the desired results.

How ever using filtered picklists makes it very hard to then link to those records with out length iteration scripting to search through the target workspaces and retrieve or update data.

I'm having to re-think my workspace workflow.

Thanks,

BD

Message 4 of 4
dvirh
in reply to: DonovanJr

This may help - when using Filtered PL you can choose the Item Descriptor as the target field, make it a link, and still use it as a Filtered PL (see image). What that means is that if the set of picks you make from the same PL results in a single item in the target workspace, you will get to see the descriptor of this item and you will be able to click it as a link.

FPL Options.png

Hagay Dvir
Engineering Manager
Fusion Manage
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report