Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computed Fields tutorials

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
michelle.stone
3891 Views, 18 Replies

Computed Fields tutorials

As promised in today's PLM Talk - some handy-dandy links for you guys!

Computed Fields: Small but Powerful (see reply below for content from that tutorial)

Seeing Red

W3 Schools SQL Tutorial

Enjoy!

Michelle

Michelle Stone
Technical Marketing, PDM & PLM
Autodesk, Inc.
Tags (1)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Hi Michelle,

I was hoping to find more information about computed fields in the referenced tutorial "Small but Powerful", but when I click on it, the link merely goes to the main http://help.autodesk.com/view/PLM/ENU/ page. Is the tutorial still available?

Specifically, my question is how to deal with null data in a computed field formula. In the example below if FACILITY3 is null, the computed field is blank. If FACILITY3 is 0, the computed field shows the correct value (an average rating).

((FACILITY3 * 3) + (FACILITY4 * 4) + (FACILITY5 * 5)) / FACILITYTOT

Alternatively, if the FACILITY3 field could be hidden if the value is 0 but shown if the value is greater than 0, that would work, too.

Thanks,

Sara

Message 3 of 19

Sara - I'll check with our content team about reviving the tutorial (I had it saved locally, so I'll post in a seperate response).

To address your question - a few things to think about.  You could use case statements to solve, or I'd probably just make any fields that are part of the computed field mandatory.

Quick example of a case statement that would work:

CASE WHEN (FACILITY3 is null)
THEN
((FACILITY4 * 4) + (FACILITY5 * 5)) / 2
ELSE
((FACILITY3 * 3) + (FACILITY4 * 4) + (FACILITY5 * 5)) / 3
END

{you'd have to extend for cases where the other facilities are also null - I'd go back to the original suggestion to have them mandatory if you are using them in calculations}

Hope that helps!

Michelle

Michelle Stone
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 19

Below of some examples of how you can use computed fields.  In this first set of examples, you can see how using computed fields gives you immense flexibility for formatting information.

comp_field1.png

comp_field2.png

Advanced text:

pic3.png

Text with a link:

pic4.png

Next up – math!  I’m sure you’ll quickly see how this can be very useful, especially if your current processes rely on Excel. 

pic5.png

pic6.png

pic7.png

pic8.png

This can be extended to use more complex calculations.

We can use computed fields for conditioning logic as well.

pic9.png

pic10.png

pic11.png

This next example shows a slick way to embed a Google map from the provided address information.

pic12.png

pic13.png

pic14.png

pic15.png

Try some fun formatting on your own and take advantage for the flexibility you have in Autodesk PLM 360.  

Michelle Stone
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 19

Thank you, Michelle. I went ahead and made them mandatory and filled in a zero or positive integers for each field. I am using the original formula:

((FACILITY3 * 3) + (FACILITY4 * 4) + (FACILITY5 * 5)) / FACILITYTOT
This works for the Facility Average Rating.

However, the fields below that in the matrix with different names are not calculating correctly, even though the field names have been changed in the formula of the computed field section.

For example, if AGENDA3 = 0, AGENDA4 = 1, AGENDA5 = 4, and AGENDATOT = 5 (1 respondent gave a rating of '4', and 4 respondents gave a rating of '5'), AGENDAAVG should be 4.80 but instead it calculates as 4.00. (Screenshots below.)

ScreenHunter_111 Feb. 06 10.11.jpg

ScreenHunter_113 Feb. 06 10.11.jpg

I tried deleting the original Agenda-Avg field and re-creating from scratch a new Agenda-Average field, but still have the same issue.

Any guidance for this problem?

Message 6 of 19

Sara - make sure you are referencing the correct Field ID in the computed field.  4 is the correct average rating for the first row of your matrix.  The field IDs for the other inputs differ so you'll need to update the calculated field formula for each subsequent row.

Michelle

Michelle Stone
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 19

Yes, I had already updated the computed field formula for each subsequent row, as in my second screenshot above for the "Agenda" row. Therefore it is hard to figure out why the average rating for each subsequent row is not showing properly.

I will include another screenshot here that was too big for my previous posting:

ScreenHunter_112 smaller Feb. 06 10.16.gif

Thanks in advance for any additional help!

Message 8 of 19

Sara - I'll create a support case and have someone from the Technical Support team work with you more closely with you.

Thanks,

Michelle

Michelle Stone
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 19

I appreciate your response; do you have a support case number that I can reference?

Thanks,

Sara

Message 10 of 19

Sara - it's case #08146934.

Michelle Stone
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 19
j.hendrickson
in reply to: sara.murray

I found the COALESCE function works well for dealing with NULL values. Much slicker than a CASE statement. I come from an Oracle SQL background but as someone mentioned in another post PLM 360 seems to use a PostgreSQL 8.1 dialect and that's where I found this function.

( COALESCE(FACILITY3,0) * 3 + COALESCE(FACILITY4,0) * 4 + COALESCE(FACILITY5,0) * 5 ) / FACILITYTOT
Message 12 of 19
sara.murray
in reply to: j.hendrickson

Thank you to the community... Bastien found that each field needed to be of data type FLOAT in order for the computed field of type FLOAT to function properly. Also, the COALESCE function is definitely slick and provides the desired look to the matrix!

So the updated computed field formula (return a 1 in the denominator if FACILITYTOTFLOAT is null):

( COALESCE(FACILITY3FLOAT,0) * 3 + COALESCE(FACILITY4FLOAT,0) * 4 + COALESCE(FACILITY5FLOAT,0) * 5 ) / COALESCE(FACILITYTOTFLOAT,1)

Screenshots of the field definitions and matrix display that are working now are in the attachments.

Message 13 of 19
pnigam
in reply to: michelle.stone

Hi Michelle,

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here but I cannot see the HTML TEXT  when I added my Computed Field as Special instructions here.

Thanks

Parul

Pnigam
Message 14 of 19
gasevsm
in reply to: pnigam

Greetings,

Instead of <span>, try one of these or a combination of style's font-family, font-size, font-color attributes:

<h1 style="font-family:verdana">This is a heading</h1>
<p style="font-family:courier">This is a paragraph.</p>

<h1 style="font-size:300%">This is a heading</h1>
<p style="font-size:160%">This is a paragraph.</p>

<h1 style="color:blue">This is a heading</h1>
<p style="color:red">This is a paragraph.</p>

HTH,

Martin Gasevski | Fusion 360 Team Product Manager
Message 15 of 19
pnigam

Hi ,

I tried what you suggested but still no luck  not sure why !

Thanks

Parul

Pnigam
Message 16 of 19
pnigam

Never mind ! I had to do multiple Refresh and now it seems to be working fine

Pnigam
Message 17 of 19
michelle.stone

Glad it worked!

Michelle Stone
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 18 of 19

Hello! Is this iframe approach supported in Modern UI? Thanks!

Message 19 of 19

@wendy.salas wrote:

Hello! Is this iframe approach supported in Modern UI? Thanks!

Hi Wendy,

No, it won't. We're adding support for rendering HTML in Computed Fields to Modern UI soon, but <script> and <iframe> tags are not going to be part of that iteration.

Giliar de Fries Perez
Sr. Product Owner
Fusion 360® Manage
Autodesk Canada Co.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report