Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which would be the best software program to purchase?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
195 Views, 7 Replies

Which would be the best software program to purchase?

I want to take my writing/poetry a step further by creating a character that will be the face of my writings. My intentions: to create short 'poetry films' that will express my poems feel and direction of emotions. I want to know what would be the best approach and product to purchase that would enhance my ideas? As an example...I want a 3D type fixed set with the only animation/motion will be that of the main character. The lenght of the film creation would be no more than 2 mins length. Just something simple, but visually profound. This is not a new concept in poetry/animation, but new to me and my poetry works. Thank you all in advance for your time and consideration. Samples of what my intentions are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inP7dtrz--s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI8mFh3iHr0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMPOiiWjd88&feature=related

These are just samples of what my intentions are...I just want a more visually stimulating appeal.

Again,

Thank you for your time.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you're a Maya user (which why you're registered here), why don't you just use Maya. If you want a free but powerful package, try Blender (at www.blender.org).
Never heard of poems being animated, though.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

I just wanted to be sure of my purchase decision. I was stuck with Adobe CS4 professional, and it did nothing I wanted it to do. Thanks for the reply. I wanted to do something different with poetry. Something, so that people everywhere can see how beautiful a poem, or poetry could be.

Again, thanks!

Ami_DeadYet?
😄
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Remember, CG world will never get off Image editing tools like Adobe CS4... You'll often use that for texturing. So, just keep that CS4 sitting on your hard drive while you're diving into 3D Packages. Although Blender has some great tools like UV Mapping and Texturing, Adobe is still way better in that field.
I dunno why people likes poetry so much... I never do. Poetry is some kinda "encrypted" words that need to be deciphered first if you wanna see it's beauties...
Anyway, those Youtube videos will be better if some background musics are added, just my 2 cents...
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

This is the exact reason for the poetry film. I think that poetry would be more easily understood if it were directed into 'short film'. Poetry is beautiful, I want everyone to appreciate it as much as I do.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

the cost and learning curve of most 3d applications would put most people off trying it out for a specific project like the one you've described, from my point of view you could get some really good more stylized graphic results from applications like flash and after effects (which now have some good character animation tools) especially if you have the software already.

If it is a photorealistic look you are going for then I would suggest a maya/zbrush pipeline using after effects in conjunction with it. There are plenty of free tutorials online for Zbrush and a good quantity on Maya although the best ones for maya have to be subscribed to or purchased as dvds (digital tutors and the gnomon workshop being the best examples)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I understand. I am open for what ever it takes to learn/educate myself, no matter the costs. Really great input gentleman, you both have really helped me in my decision making process. It would seem that I have all the materials I need!
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Glad to hear that...
And one more thing, don't forget to post your work here so we can enjoy your poem's beauty... If you would, you can also send the scene files so that we can share our knowledge. Frankly, I'm not a pro or even advanced user of Photoshop. I think I'm gonna have some time invested to it, sometime.
Happy 3D-ing!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report