Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online-Survey: Oculus Rift for architectural visualizations

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
415 Views, 1 Reply

Online-Survey: Oculus Rift for architectural visualizations

Hi everbody,

my name Joe Wälter and I am currently studying Digital Film Making/3D Animation in Bochum, Germany.

For my Honours Thesis I am going to research the chances of the Oculus Rift to be used as a cheap but efficient Virtual Reality Device for architectural visualizations.

My methodology consists mainly of two different approaches:

I have created an interior visualization of an office, which I am going to present to a small audience in three steps:

1. As “bare” photorealistic renderings, printed on photo paper
  2. As photorealistic 360° panoramic renderings, which can be explored with the Oculus rift.
    This presentation reacts to head-tracking and supports 3d stereoscopy.
  3. As an interactive VR-Environment, programmed in Unity3D. The benefits are the same as in step 2 plus the user can move and interact with the environment (e.g. open doors) with a wireless game controller. Disadvantage: Not as (photo)realistic as the renderings.

With this approach I want to work out whether the Oculus is an enrichment to a potential customer by investigating, how they react to different kinds of presentations.

My second approach aims at the technical background – will there be enough support by the developers/communities and are 3d artists interested in producing VR content at all.

For this purpose I am asking you:

If you could spend 10 minutes of your time to answer some questions about VR in 3d visualization, I’d be truly grateful. You can even participate, if you haven’t made experiences with VR yet.

http://www.sogosurvey.com/k/RQsQVUPXsRsPsPsP

The survey is completely anonymous and the collected information will only be used for this work.

Thank you all in advance.

Joe

P.S.: Feel free to ask me anything about this 🙂

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
machineelf
in reply to: Anonymous

May you report on the results of this survey when it is complete?

Would love to hear more about it 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report