Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best OS for Maya 2009?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
stwert_1
172 Views, 2 Replies

Best OS for Maya 2009?

Hi everyone,
This question has probably been discussed a fair bit, but I didn't really find what I was looking for in the forums yet.
I'm looking to buy a new computer mainly for using Maya, but possibly mudbox and some video editing/effects type stuff.

What, in your opinion and why, is the best OS for a solid maya workflow? I don't want any OS bashing, just some logical arguments for or against.

From what I know/have heard:

I like Linux, and I'd be happy to use it, but I don't want to mess around with a huge number of configuration and driver issues to get it working consistently. If you like Linux, what distribution works best for maya? (eg fedora, ubuntu, kubuntu?)

I was considering buying a Mac Pro for the overall stability, design and power, but as I understand it, the graphics options are underwhelming. Also if I used Mac OS X, Maya is only available as a 32-bit edition, which causes limitations in its ability to fully utilize the hardware? Is Autodesk still planning on putting out a 64-bit edition, and if so, when?

I'm not really a fan of Windows, but if you think it's the best option, 64-bit XP, Vista, what?

Right now I'm leaning towards putting together my own PC over a Mac Pro, but that's probably a separate question...
Thanks for your input!
(Hey cool, I can add a poll)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: stwert_1

I think better than fedora,could be use CentOS 4.7 , that is more stable,and quite similar to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: stwert_1

I think better than fedora,could be use CentOS 4.7 , that is more stable,and quite similar to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

I too am looking at using Centos 4.7. Mainly because its free, very very similar to Red Hat and I will be using several IBM Blades.
Im glad that someone else has suggested this.

Is anyone here actually using Centos 4.7 for either a workstation or render machine?
Would love to hear about it if so.

Hope you find the best, and most suitable, operating system for you needs!

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report