Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Generalist needing career advice

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
mstrasko
289 Views, 1 Reply

3D Generalist needing career advice

Hi all,

I recently graduated from college with a Bachelors of Science in 3D modeling, texture design, and animation. I am currently building up my demo reel with a couple of vehicle models, as I live outside the metro-detroit area in Michigan and thought that these models might be a good start. However while I've been working on these first couple models, I've also been searching online for 3D modeling jobs, even internships. Yet there doesn't seem to be much in Michigan unless a person wants to do freelance work, which I don't, I want to find a full-time stable career.

At any rate, the full-time jobs that I have come across are out of state and are everything from advanced character modeling, landscape, architectual, some vehicle, rigging, and animation. Basically everything under the sun. Which leaves me feeling a little overwhelmed, as I'm not sure what models I should make to give my demo reel the most impact. Secondly I started modeling two years ago for class assignments, so I'm also trying to figure out how to give the most realistic detail to my models in the shortest amount of time possible.

I'm more than happy to move out of state for a 3D modeling career, even work in a different country. But again I first need to find out what models I should make and how to give them the most realism in the shortest time possible. Oh and also if there are any companies open to the possiblity of intership-type positions leading into careers.

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Thank you!

Mike

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Cory_XD
in reply to: mstrasko

Do some freeleance work while you figure out your next move. That way you get portfolio + work experience.
Cory "Mr. Entertainment" Mogk
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/cory

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report