Did you mean: 

Keeping Reference Of Model Space Objects in Dimensions Drawn On Paper Space

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
875 Views, 5 Replies

Keeping Reference Of Model Space Objects in Dimensions Drawn On Paper Space

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help,

I have to create some dimensions in paper space. User will make selection in paper space window. Once selection is made, dimension will be created in paper space based on the objects selected. This dimension will remain in paper space. And if the object for which this dimension was created changes in model space, then this dimension needs to be updated.

I noticed that that indeed does happen for dimensions created using AutoCAD. But didn't find any API so far that will allow me to do that. So there is an API, perhaps not documented, or not exposed?

I don't need to maintain bidirectional connection. The update of paper space dimension upon changing model space does not need to happen in real time. It's ok to have an update function that will do that on manual invokation. Just that the paper space dimension needs to keep in touch with it's model space object.

I am using AutoCAD 2013 , ,ARX that came with it and Visual studio 2010 for development.

Any advice?

Thanks guys,

Kedar

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
philippe.leefsma
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

I'm not sure about what you are asking: do you want to create a dimension in paper space that is associative with an entity from a viewport in model space?

If that's the case, then it's quite tricky to achive the same bahavior than AutoCAD. In the attached project is a partial workaround I was implementing some time ago. You can see a demo of the result in that quick recording:

http://screencast.com/t/iszMwxW0IboP

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Philippe.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: philippe.leefsma

Hi Philippe,

Yes, I think what you are describing is what I am trying to achieve.

I am in paper space. I want to select a viewport, select an entity in modelspace from the viewport and create a dimension on that entity. That dimension should update itself when the model space entity is updated.

How did you achieve that? What is the way to carry out that association between model space entity and paper space dimension of that entity?

Thanks,

K

Message 4 of 6
LE3
Advocate

Read about this system environment DIMASSOC.

If it is set to 2, you can have your entities drawn in model-space and then have the dimensions added from paper-space, once the entities in model are modified, dimensions associated will be updated in paper-space.

DIMASSOC = 2

HTH

Message 5 of 6
philippe.leefsma

The way to carry out associativity between model space entity and paper space dimension is described by the sample I provided previously. Please take a look carefully at the code in my project and let us know if you have further questions afterwards.

Regards,

Philippe.

Philippe Leefsma
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: philippe.leefsma

Philippe, sorry I got pulled to do something else and didn't get a chance to work on this issue till now.

And last time I seem to have entirely missed the fact that you attached some code. I watched the video and thought it was helpful, but didn't know what else to do. I am taking a look at the code right now. But a big thanks for your help so far.

Ked

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost