Did you mean: 

Get the AcApDocument associated with an AcDbDatabase

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
xtend
1417 Views, 15 Replies

Get the AcApDocument associated with an AcDbDatabase

Two questions......

1) Is there any way to get an AcApDocument from an AcDbDatabase? e.g. AcApDocument* AcDbDatabase::document();

Or do I have to do something like this?

{code}
for each AcApDocument in application
for each AcDbBlockTableRecord in AcApDocument::database()
if AcDbBlockTableRecord::xrefDatabase() is the same database as mine
jump for joy!
{code}

2) Is there an easy way to find out which function are available in Dbx and which are not? I see there is a list of libraries for Dbx in the docs; I'm not sure how to translate that information into something more usful than just linkage errors.
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: xtend

acDocManager->document( pDb );

As far as dependencies go, Autodesk used to list the library file in the
docs, but they don't seem to do that any longer, so its a matter of becoming
familar with the APIs. Generally, ObjectDBX comprised everything needed to
work with a database and its contents .

The HostApplicationServices object is the non-AutoCAD dependent interface to
the host application, which can be used in both ObjectDBX and AutoCAD.

--
http://www.caddzone.com

AcadXTabs: MDI Document Tabs for AutoCAD 2009
Supporting AutoCAD 2000 through 2009

http://www.acadxtabs.com

Introducing AcadXTabs 2010:
http://www.caddzone.com/acadxtabs/AcadXTabs2010.htm

Email: string.Format("{0}@{1}.com", "tonyt", "caddzone");

wrote in message news:6194239@discussion.autodesk.com...
Two questions...... 1) Is there any way to get an AcApDocument from an
AcDbDatabase? e.g. AcApDocument* AcDbDatabase::document(); Or do I have to
do something like this? {code} for each AcApDocument in application for each
AcDbBlockTableRecord in AcApDocument::database() if
AcDbBlockTableRecord::xrefDatabase() is the same database as mine jump for
joy! {code} 2) Is there an easy way to find out which function are available
in Dbx and which are not? I see there is a list of libraries for Dbx in the
docs; I'm not sure how to translate that information into something more
usful than just linkage errors.
Message 3 of 16
cadMeUp

This will get the AcApDocument of an AcDbDatabase:

AcApDocument* pDoc = acDocManager->document(acdbHostApplicationServices()->workingDatabase());
acutPrintf(_T("\nTitle: %s"), pDoc->docTitle());
acutPrintf(_T("\nName: %s"), pDoc->fileName());
Message 4 of 16
xtend

Thank you. I guess I couldn't find that because I was thinking the wrong way about it. Since AcApDocument* AcDbDatabase::document(); doesn't exist but AcApDocument* acDocManager->document(AcDbDatabase*); does, I assume that the AcAp pseudo-namespace is unavailable in Dbx?
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

That's right.  Documents are an AutoCAD
specific thing, so Dbx can't use them since it must work in non-Acad host
application environments.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Thank
you. I guess I couldn't find that because I was thinking the wrong way about
it. Since AcApDocument* AcDbDatabase::document(); doesn't exist but
AcApDocument* acDocManager->document(AcDbDatabase*); does, I assume that
the AcAp pseudo-namespace is unavailable in Dbx?
Message 6 of 16
ChaosInACT
in reply to: cadMeUp

this seems to be what I need - I'm trying to lock the current docuemnt in objectARX.

but I'm geting this when I include it and compile:

1>BCHF_LotObject.obj : warning LNK4248: unresolved typeref token (01000031) for 'AcDbStub'; image may not run
1>BCHF_LotObject.obj : error LNK2028: unresolved token (0A0001CA) "class AcApDocManager * __cdecl acDocManagerPtr(void)" (?acDocManagerPtr@@$$FYAPEAVAcApDocManager@@XZ) referenced in function "public: enum Acad::ErrorStatus __cdecl BCHF_LotObject::ConstructPoly(class AcDbObjectId)" (?ConstructPoly@BCHF_LotObject@@$$FQEAA?AW4ErrorStatus@Acad@@VAcDbObjectId@@@Z)
1>BCHF_LotObject.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "class AcApDocManager * __cdecl acDocManagerPtr(void)" (?acDocManagerPtr@@$$FYAPEAVAcApDocManager@@XZ) referenced in function "public: enum Acad::ErrorStatus __cdecl BCHF_LotObject::ConstructPoly(class AcDbObjectId)" (?ConstructPoly@BCHF_LotObject@@$$FQEAA?AW4ErrorStatus@Acad@@VAcDbObjectId@@@Z)
1>U:\VisualStudio2012\Projects\BCHF V 0.0.0.1\CoreComponents\LOTtery2013\LOTtery_VBUI - V0.0.1.1\x64\Debug\BCHFLOT_DBX.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals

which looks like missing references but I've got \inc and \inc64 and \lib-64 all tagged in additional directories..... any ideas?

Message 7 of 16
loic.jourdan
in reply to: ChaosInACT

Hi,

Since you only posted the VS log without more detailed information, I may be wrong but I see 'BCHFLOT_DBX.dll', which seems to mean you are building a dbx project (BTW, you should rename its extension). dbx projects must not depend on AutoCAD (see "User Interface and Database Access" section of object arx documentation for instance).

In short, you are trying to use "acDocManagerPtr", this method is exported from acad.lib, which means you are trying to "depend on AutoCAD" in your dbx project.

-> In other terms, you musn't lock autocad document in your dbx application but in the arx module (usually through commands) that calls this dbx methods.

--------------------------

Details:

- dbx projects usually include "dbxHeaders.h" which auto-links (#pragma comment (lib ,"acui19.lib")) to dbx libraries ("acdbXX.lib" for instance)

- arx projects usually include "arxHeaders.h which auto-links to arx libraries ("acad.lib" for instance).

This way, if you include "acdocman.h" in your dbx project as you surely did (compile error otherwise), it results in having the link error you got.

--------------------------

I hope this helps.

----
20-20 CAD / 20-20 Technologies
Message 8 of 16
ChaosInACT
in reply to: loic.jourdan

I actually found the missing library at the end of an exhausting day and then got sick 😞 I'm home now - as soon as I'm well enough I'll post the library and the precise call that needed it. worst thing is I know this happened a month ago but  I just couldn't remember the reference. so frustrating....

Message 9 of 16
loic.jourdan

Here is the usual list of arx libraries you mustn't link against in dbx projects:

- accore.lib

- acad.lib

- acui19.lib

- adui19.lib

There are also a couple of additional unusual libraries you can find in arxheaders.h.

doing so might work within autocad although strongly not advised but fail in any RealDWG or OEM based products. For instance, linking against acad.lib require acad.exe to be loaded in order to load your dbx, that mean that a RealDWG application won't be able to load it.

here is an article on this topic:

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/2013/01/understanding-objectdbx-and-realdwg.html

----
20-20 CAD / 20-20 Technologies
Message 10 of 16
ChaosInACT

oh for @#$@!$!@ sake. 

I'm implementing a project not unlike polyamp - it largely managed by vb.net - I had everything working fine then when I hooked it up to a palette interface I'm told I need to "lock" the current document no - I've done it in vb but I need to do it in objectARX as well at points. and this:

AcApDocument* pDoc=acDocManager->document(acdbHostApplicationServices()->workingDatabase());

makes a call to:

accore.lib

Surely the custom object can access the current database in some way, right????

Also it should be noted that dependency on AutoCAD is fine - this is an in - house product for a large firm, it can't be sold.

Message 11 of 16
ChaosInACT

hmmm.

I'm almost afraid to ask as I'm sick to death of working out acrxEntryPoint changes, but....

does that mean my vb.net project, which calls a dbx code project, when the dbx NEEDS to do it's own calcs and database access, should ADD an arx project AS WELL to call and manage?

Please, someone say no.

Message 12 of 16
owenwengerd

We do not have psychic abilities to determine the design goals of your project, so we have no way of knowing what you *should* do. However, if you are implementing a palette, you are creating an ARX module, not a DBX module.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 13 of 16
ChaosInACT
in reply to: owenwengerd

Fair enough...I'll elaborate a bit.

The palette is called in vb actually calling a mixed managed custom dbx object, but I want to give the dbx object it's own functionality as an object. for exampe, a derived polyline object has its defintion (polyline wise) created by passing a polyline into it (by my design) like this:

in vb.net:

dim devPoly as New devPolyObject

devPoly.ConstructPoly(somePolyineObjectID)

causes the the c++ fuction [Construct Poly] in the dbx object to suck in the vertix of the poly and then (here's the catch) delete it. I need to lock the databse to do that and hence the darned call. I can re-write to delete the poly in vb just didn't want to, though I'm begining to think if a dbx object wants to write to the database it needs an arx component to do it and make calls to functions there, or else do it through the vb.

If that made sense? I"m still home sick so may not be as clear as I think I am lol. 

Message 14 of 16
owenwengerd

If by "delete it" you mean "open it for write and set its erased flag", then that is fine in a DBX, but it is then the resposibility of document-based callers to lock their document before calling the function (non-document based hosts don't have to worry about it, of course). If you have a palette UI that initiates the call into the DBX, then the palette UI must lock the document before asking the DBX to access it.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 15 of 16
ChaosInACT
in reply to: owenwengerd

Ok...I've tried a lot  of arrangements, but never that [exact] one ! 😉 thanks, I'll give it a go.

Message 16 of 16
nini18110

Awesome

Thanks alot , your post is helped me a lot . I was just frustrated with this error after all code changes .

Finally at last moment i found this thread and i feel greatfull to find this thread and solution you have provided .

Once again Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost