Did you mean: 

Crashing on AcDbTableRecord::close

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
khunstad
602 Views, 13 Replies

Crashing on AcDbTableRecord::close

Hi!

I have a strange crash problem on _some_ pc's, depending on installation. It happens when closing a pointer to a newly created AcDbTableRecord, although I'm quite sure the code is in principle correct. It happens on AutoCAD Map 3D 2012. I am currently checking if it happens on other versions, but any hints on how to approach this would be appreciated!

Here is the code:

AcDbLayerTable *pLayerTable = NULL;
if (acdbHostApplicationServices()->workingDatabase()->getSymbolTable(pLayerTable,AcDb::kForWrite) != Acad::eOk)
return FALSE;

AcDbLayerTableRecord *ptblRec = new AcDbLayerTableRecord;
ptblRec->setName(layer); // layer is a valid layer string, already checked this layer doesn't exist

// Code for setting color, lineweight and linetype omitted

if (pLayerTable->add(ptblRec) == Acad::eOk)
{

ptblRec->close(); // Crashes here!
  pLayerTable->close();

}

Thank you!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
owenwengerd
in reply to: khunstad

Have you checked the stack trace at the point of the crash? You should start by determining who's code is crashing.
--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 3 of 14
khunstad

Well, the problem is that it only crashes on the user's pc, so I can't debug it!

Message 4 of 14
owenwengerd

By "can't debug it", do you mean you don't know how, or the user won't allow you?

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 5 of 14
khunstad

Eh, well, I'm afraid the answer might be the first Smiley Embarassed

I can't install Visual Studio on this pc. And I don't know how I can find out anything useful without it?

What I _have_ found, is that it seems to crash anytime the program tries to store something into the database.

Thanks for trying to help!

Message 6 of 14
owenwengerd

Can you install the Visual Studio remote debug monitor? If not, there are ways to get a stack trace when software crashes by enabling Dr. Watson or other crash dump utilities.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 7 of 14
khunstad
in reply to: owenwengerd

I debugged on my own pc with AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 in normal mode. The result was a crash in:

{

AcDbObjectPointer<AcDbObject> obj(theObjId, AcDb::kForWrite);

if (obj.openStatus() == Acad::eOk)

{

struct resbuf *pHead= obj.xData(_T("OurAppName"));

if (pHead)

{

// Added some extra info at the end of the resbuf, quite sure there is no error there

Acad::ErrorStatus es = obj.upgradeOpen(); 

if (Acad::eOk==es || Acad::eWasOpenForWrite==es)

es = obj.setXData(pHead); // This does get called

acutRelRb(pHead); // Tried without this as well, no difference

}

}

obj.close(); // Crashes here! If omitted (as should be allowed when using AcDbObjectPointer) it crashes in the same place

}

The crash happens in dbobjptr.h:

template <classT_OBJECT> inlineAcad::ErrorStatus

AcDbObjectPointerBase <T_OBJECT>::closeInternal()

{

if (m_ptr == NULL)

returnAcad::eOk;

Acad::ErrorStatuses = Acad::eOk;

if (m_ptr->objectId().isNull()) {

// ...

}

else {

es = m_ptr->close(); // Crashes here

If anyone has a clue, I'll be thankful for any help!

Message 8 of 14
owenwengerd

What does "crashes here" mean? Is there an exception? If so, what is the exception? Are you determining the location from the stack trace, or some other means? If stack trace, are you looking at the stack trace at the exception, or somewhere else? Whose code is crashing?

--

Owen Wengerd

ManuSoft

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 9 of 14
khunstad

During debugging, first things that happens (when I try to step into the obj.close() call:

Unhandled exception at 0x0000000140539d15 in acad.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.

When I then press "Break", the debugger shows the following stack trace:

acad.exe!0000000140539d15()

[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for acad.exe]

acdb18.dll!000007fee5f7e8ae()

acdb18.dll!000007fee5f926b1()

Aviation.arx!AcDbObjectPointerBase<AcDbObject>::closeInternal()  Line 581 + 0xe bytes C++

Which doesn't tell me anything, really...

Thanks for keeping up!

Message 10 of 14
khunstad

Oh, yes, and with "Crashes here", I mean that's where the debugger shows with a green arrow where I am when I have pressed "Break"...

Message 11 of 14
khunstad

FYI, I have another thread dealing with the same problem from a different angle here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/AutoCAD-Map-3D-2012-together-with-Citrix/m-p/33...

Message 12 of 14
owenwengerd

Describing this as an access violation in acad.exe and providing the stack trace provides much more useful information and improves your odds of getting help. Unfortunately, in this case I don't see any obvious reason for the exception.

The problem may be related to the context from which your code is being called. You could test by putting the same code in a command handler and calling it by entering the command at the command prompt. If it works there, then the crash is propbably due to calling code from an invalid context or during an unsettled application state.

--

Owen Wengerd

ManuSoft

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 13 of 14
khunstad

I'm beginning to think context and document locking might be involved. This is an old application...

Look at this:

// We are in application context right now and I want to change some object

AcAxDocLock lockdoc;

if (lockdoc.lockStatus() == Acad::eOk)

{

// Should be OK to do it here

AcAxDocLock lockdoc;

if (lockdoc.lockStatus() == Acad::eOk)

{

// OK here, too, I assume

}

// But what about here? Is the document still properly locked for writing or not?

}

I couldn't find this specific question answered anywhere! Can you just throw around with AcAxDocLock everywhere you need to be sure the document is locked or might that get you into trouble?

Message 14 of 14
khunstad

Hm, after removing all calls to:

AcAxDocLock lockdoc;

if (lockdoc.lockStatus() == Acad::eOk

from the paths that lead to the crash, the crash has disappeared! I thought this was a safe function to call anytime, but maybe it's not. If so, that could explain a lot!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost