AutoCAD Read-Only

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Pluc.m
2106 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCAD Read-Only

Hi,

Current situation

• We have employes running AutoCAD LT that needs to open drawings as ReadOnly but oftenly forgets to click the little arrow and select Read Only.
  • We have employes running AutoCAD (Not LT) that needs to work on those drawings in Read & Write mode.

Option 1

Set all the protected files to ReadOnly

Make a plugin that ask if you want to edit the drawing after opening it, remove the Read Only attribute, upgrade to Read&Write

I have successfuly done this option, but there is 2 problems that I have to resolve.

First, there is a "Open in read only" warning message that has to be skipped. I found a little LISP script to redefine the Open command, but it has side effects like removing the shortcut bar that I also cannot accept.

Second, the Open Mode upgrade doesnt remove the "Read only" in the window title until the document is saved. I have to refresh the title to remove that.

Option 2

Configure AutoCAD LT to always open as Read-Only (or at least make it the default behavior)

I don't know how to do this.

Anyone has a suggestion for me?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
owenwengerd
in reply to: Pluc.m

You should be setting user permissions on the folders using the features of the operating system.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 3 of 6
Pluc.m
in reply to: owenwengerd

Forgot to add this limitation, I cannot do this for automation reasons. We have a lot of softwares that manages project folders and such, programs that runs under users that does not have authorization to change security setting.

Message 4 of 6
owenwengerd

Another option would be to use the 'Remember read-only state' feature in my shareware QuikPik utlity. This does not prevent files from being opened as writable, but it changes the default to whatever was last used.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 5 of 6
Pluc.m
in reply to: owenwengerd

Google search pulled me to a unresponsive website. Is this a temporary hosting issue?

Also, is your tool working on AutoCAD LT applications (since they don't support customization)?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Message 6 of 6
owenwengerd

Yes, and yes.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost