Did you mean: 

ARX literature-tutorials ect

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
joandreasen
314 Views, 3 Replies

ARX literature-tutorials ect

Hi all,

We're looking at purchasing a AutoCad add on program for creating factory design drawings.
The program comes with ARX and XML objects. We'd like to beable to create our own components (conveyor systems, clay extruders ect.) I've been doing some reading online over the last day and ahalf and it looks like ObjectARX would be the best alternative. I've done some Lisp programming and have used AutoCad for 16 years. I'm hoping someone can recommend a entry level book, web site ect. to get me started, this is all new to me. We're using AutoCad 2008 with windows XP.

Thank you,

Joe Andreasen
Keyria Inc.
Littleton CO
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: joandreasen

First prerequisite is C++.

Don't know about a book, but there is the
ObjectARX SDK (www.objectarx.com) and
comes with a tutorial and some project samples (and will depend on your AutoCAD
- the need of Visual Studio 2002, 2005 and greater).

Now, if you need to create custom
objects, that it is for advanced programmers.

HTH.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Hi all, We're looking at
purchasing a AutoCad add on program for creating factory design drawings. The
program comes with ARX and XML objects. We'd like to beable to create our own
components (conveyor systems, clay extruders ect.) I've been doing some
reading online over the last day and ahalf and it looks like ObjectARX would
be the best alternative. I've done some Lisp programming and have used AutoCad
for 16 years. I'm hoping someone can recommend a entry level book, web site
ect. to get me started, this is all new to me. We're using AutoCad 2008 with
windows XP. Thank you, Joe Andreasen Keyria Inc. Littleton
CO
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

There are books and other resources you can find by searching the web, but before you even think about ObjectARX, you have to start with C++, because that's the programming langauge it uses.

I'd estimate that it requires 1-2 years before the average person that has never used C++ is able to develop ObjectARX applications in C++.

You may be better off hiring an experienced developer, or at least, make sure your fully understand the time and expense of learning (and the cost of learning mistakes), and convey that to your company's management before they make a decision. I say that because if you ask me, you have absolutely no idea what you're getting yourself (and your company) into.

--
http://www.caddzone.com

AcadXTabs: MDI Document Tabs for AutoCAD 2009
Supporting AutoCAD 2000 through 2009

http://www.acadxtabs.com

Introducing AcadXTabs 2010:
http://www.caddzone.com/acadxtabs/AcadXTabs2010.htm

wrote in message news:6037737@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi all, We're looking at purchasing a AutoCad add on program for creating factory design drawings. The program comes with ARX and XML objects. We'd like to beable to create our own components (conveyor systems, clay extruders ect.) I've been doing some reading online over the last day and ahalf and it looks like ObjectARX would be the best alternative. I've done some Lisp programming and have used AutoCad for 16 years. I'm hoping someone can recommend a entry level book, web site ect. to get me started, this is all new to me. We're using AutoCad 2008 with windows XP. Thank you, Joe Andreasen Keyria Inc. Littleton CO
Message 4 of 4
mcguirepm

I have been using AutoCAD since version 2.5 for conveyor design and application. I would strongly reccommend that rather than trying to develop custom entiites in Object ARX that you instead create 3D blocks of the conveyors and machinery. My current employer deals in airport baggage systems and everything we do is drawn using 3D blocks. Some are blocks that get used over and over such as X-ray machinery and other are created on the fly by some custom programming that was developed using VBA.

Just my 2 cents.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost