Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARX in XP Pro v. Windows 7

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
EMD1954
435 Views, 7 Replies

ARX in XP Pro v. Windows 7

I have about 26 ARX projects for Acad2010 compiled with Visual Studio 2008.  My operating system is Windows XP Pro so everything is x32.  I bought a new laptop which is running Windows 7 Pro that tells me that my ARX routines are not compatible and they won't load.  I assume that means I have to recompile with x64 (with inc-x64 and lib-x64)?

Is there a simple way to compile x32 and x64 versions within the same project or do I have to maintain two different projects (a lot of files and keeping track of changes) for each item until I have everything in Windows 7?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alexander.Rivilis
in reply to: EMD1954

If your's solutions (projects) was created with ObjectARX Wizard then they has two solution platform: Win32 and x64

You can build both arx-files with help of menu Build->Batch build...

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Находите сообщения полезными? Поставьте "НРАВИТСЯ" этим сообщениям!
На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.
На ваш вопрос успешно ответили? Нажмите кнопку "УТВЕРДИТЬ РЕШЕНИЕ"

Alexander Rivilis / Александр Ривилис / Олександр Рівіліс
Programmer & Teacher & Helper / Программист - Учитель - Помощник / Програміст - вчитель - помічник
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
Expert Elite Member

Message 3 of 8
EMD1954

They were built with the ARX Wizard in Visual Studio 2005 (before Windows 7) and then I migrated them to Visual Studio 2008 a few years ago.  My configuration manager only has Win32.  If you know a simple way to create a (e.g.) Win64 configuration, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ed

Message 4 of 8
Alexander.Rivilis

@EMD1954 wrote:

If you know a simple way to create a (e.g.) Win64 configuration, I'd appreciate it.

IMHO simplest way is creating new solution with ObjectARX Wizard and import all files from old solution to new solution.

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Находите сообщения полезными? Поставьте "НРАВИТСЯ" этим сообщениям!
На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.
На ваш вопрос успешно ответили? Нажмите кнопку "УТВЕРДИТЬ РЕШЕНИЕ"

Alexander Rivilis / Александр Ривилис / Олександр Рівіліс
Programmer & Teacher & Helper / Программист - Учитель - Помощник / Програміст - вчитель - помічник
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
Expert Elite Member

Message 5 of 8
EMD1954

Thanks.

Message 6 of 8
EMD1954

Okay, almost there.  I realized that I had not installed the x64 features to VC2008 so I installed them.  Then, using the configuration manager, I created a new configuration called "Releasex64".  I went through all of the settings in the properties dialog and got everything to work fine for my static library files. (I have a lot of common subroutines and functions shared by my ARX projects).   I even ran the "batch build" so that it did both of them successfully.

Then I opened one of my main projects and created the same configurations.  I put the appropriate "inc" and "lib" paths for each configuration and made sure that the proper library files were in the proper directories (e.g. my "Common32.lib" was in lib-win32 and "Common64.lib" was in lib-x64).  I also have the header files in the proper directories and have #included them in my StdAfx.h file.

Everything seems right to me but I get the "unresolved external symbol" error because it's not finding my libraries.  FYI, if I manually add the appropriate library files to my project under "Miscellaneous Files", both the Win32 and x64 versions of my arx files work perfectly - the problem with that is that I have to only have the appropriate library files under "Miscellaneous Files" which means I manually have to make changes for each configuration build.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Ed

Message 7 of 8
owenwengerd

You need to define _WIN64 in order to tell the windows headers to pull in the 64 bit libraries.

--

Owen Wengerd

ManuSoft

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 8 of 8
EMD1954
in reply to: owenwengerd

Thank you all.

In case someone else has the same issue, here is what I did.  Everything works fine and I now have succefully compiled applications in Win32 and x64:

1. I installed the x64 features to VC2008.
  2. Using the Configuration Manager, I created a new configuration x64 copying from Win32 so all of my settings would be the same (FYI, this didn't work perfectly and there were a handful of busts so you need to check everything).
  3. In VC2008 "Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories", I set the Include and Library paths for the x64 configuration so I had the inc-x64 and lib-x64 listed as appropriate (as I had done with Win32).
  4. I created my library files for both configurations and named them e.g. MyCommonLib_01(32).lib and MyCommonLib_01(64), etc., and I put them in a directory called e.g. "MyLibraries" which is also listed as in #3 above for both the Win32 and x64 configurations.
  5. For each project, I listed the appropriate library files in "Configuration Properties->Linker->Input" and made sure I #included the .h file in StdArx.h.
  6. I set up a batch build, and it builds both configuration for me.

As I said, this worked fine for every one of my library and project files.

Good luck,

Ed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost