Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenge for 3ds Max Design users! One designer will earn a $5K incentive!

37 REPLIES 37
SOLVED
Message 1 of 38
MarionLandry
2080 Views, 37 Replies

Challenge for 3ds Max Design users! One designer will earn a $5K incentive!

Design for Morgan Motor Company 'Render Them Speechless' with Autodesk, HP, NVIDIA and Morgan Motor Company #AutoDesign

If you have additional technical questions, please post them here.

The Challenge

Designers and digital artists are invited to collaborate with the leaders in product design, 3D technology and advertising by producing a magazine advertisement for the Morgan Motor Company 3 Wheeler, to help launch their latest 3 Wheeler at a major automotive trade show. Submissions will be reviewed by an esteemed panel of judges.

The Magazine Advertisement

The winning magazine advertisement will be featured in the official Morgan Motors magazine MOG and other publications to be determined. This is your opportunity to be the Morgan Motor Company art director, and define the creative content.

The advertisement you submit must include a rendering of the 3 Wheeler generated with either Autodesk® Inventor, Autodesk® Showcase or Autodesk® 3ds Max Design (using iray).  Everything else (text, logos, graphics, etc) is up to your creative direction.

The Details

View the Guidelines for specific application instructions or consult the Autodesk® Product Design Suite visualization tutorials featuring Lynn Allen and the Product Design Suite graphics optimization guide.

The Judges' Choice

The grand prize winner will have their design displayed in the Morgan Motor Company exhibit at a major automotive trade show. The winning design will also be featured in a Morgan Motors marketing campaign.

In addition, the winner will receive:

• $5,000
  • HP ZBook 17 Mobile Workstation with  Quadro graphics valued at $4,400
  • Exposure for their submission which will be featured on Autodesk®, HP and NVIDIA's social media channels
  • A feature on Morgan 3 Wheeler's official website
  • A feature in the official Morgan Motors magazine, MOG, distributed worldwide
  • A signed copy of the book 'Morgan: 100 Years: The Official History of the World's Greatest Sports Car'
  • Selection of Morgan Motors branded merchandise

One runner-up (as determined by the Judges) will receive:

• HP Z1 all-in-one workstation with  Quadro graphics, valued at $4,092
  • Exposure for their submission which will be featured on Autodesk®, HP and NVIDIA's social media channels

People's Choice (Determined by Popular Vote)

The highest voted designer will receive:

• HP ZBook 15 Mobile Workstation with  Quadro graphics, valued at $2,699

Get Involved

Launch: December 2, 2013

Submit by: March 26, 2014

Vote: March 27, 2014 - April 10, 2014
Winner Announcement: May 5, 2014

All phases close at 10am PST.

How The Judges Will Choose

The Judges will select from all qualified submissions with special consideration for the top voted entries. A qualified submission is one which meets all the Terms & Conditions, Guidelines and Official Rules.

Judging Criteria:

1. Originality of 3 Wheeler material design and customization
  2. Quality of rendering
  3. Originality of advertisement concept
  4. Quality of overall advertisement

Guidelines

Qualifying entrants must complete the following steps in order to be considered:

1. Download Autodesk® Product Design Suite Trial or AutoCAD Design Suite 2014 Trial (see trial download tips)
  2. Download the relevant Morgan 3 Wheeler design files
  3. Download the Showcase 2014 Hotfix (required)
  4. Open the downloaded Morgan 3 Wheeler design files in either Autodesk® Inventor 2014, Autodesk® Showcase 2014, or Autodesk® 3ds Max Design 2014 (included with the Autodesk® Product Design Suite 2014 and AutoCAD Design Suite 2014)
  5. Customize and decorate your Morgan 3 Wheeler in either Autodesk® Inventor 2014, Autodesk® Showcase 2014 or Autodesk® 3ds Max Design 2014
  6. Capture a rendering of your Morgan 3 Wheeler using either Autodesk® Inventor, Autodesk® Showcase or Autodesk® 3ds Max Design using iray rendering engine (Refer to these instructions for additional guidance)
  7. Incorporate your rendering into an advertisement (using any photo editing software)
  8. The required image should be created using the “portrait” orientation 260mm x180mm @ 300 DPI ( 3070 x 2125 pixel or

10.233”x 7.083”) 

9. Need help? Consult the Autodesk® Product Design Suite visualization tutorials, featuring Lynn Allen and the Product Design Suite graphics optimization guide

Notes

• Qualifying entries must include a rendering of the Morgan 3 Wheeler created with the Autodesk® Product Design Suite or AutoCAD Design Suite
  • Designs must not include third party copyright materials
  • Designs must be submitted in JPEG or PNG format and be no larger than 5MB
  • Participants have the option to include the provided Morgan Three Wheeler logo as part of their design but are not required to
  • Winners will be required to submit their final Autodesk® Inventor 2014, Autodesk® Showcase 2014 or Autodesk® 3ds Max Design 2014 files
  • Winners must respond to Talenthouse within seven days of receiving the winner notification email or else will forfeit all prizing
  • Only one entry is permitted per person

Morgan Design Files

1. Two Autodesk® Inventor files - Morgan3Wheeler.zip and Morgan3Wheeler.z01
  2. Autodesk® Showcase file
  3. Autodesk® 3ds Max Design file

Tips for downloading and installing the Autodesk® Product Design Suite 2014 Trial

If you have additional technical questions, please post them here.

37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38
seghierk
in reply to: MarionLandry

hello, how we can create matte shadow using hdr environement only ( no image in background )

Message 3 of 38
MarionLandry
in reply to: seghierk

If you are rendering with iray, you can't create matte shadow materials. 

You can only do so while rendering with mental ray

Have a look at this video for help on the subject:

http://youtu.be/-q6DXU1hRM4

There is a lot of information on this topic on YouTube. 

Hope this helps

Marion

Message 4 of 38
seghierk

thank you ; but for competition we can't render with mentalray 

any idea how to create separate shadow ?

Message 5 of 38
MarionLandry

Hi,

since you are not rendering an animation, you can actually render a first pass using mental ray or even quicksilver and render the necessary render elements (such as shadow), then turn on iray to render the final beauty pass. 

Then you use whatever render element or alpha channel you need to composite the shot. 

Is that helping?

Marion

Message 6 of 38
seghierk

thank you ; it help but i hope you add support of matte shadow to iray render

Message 7 of 38
seghierk

Message 8 of 38
seghierk

hello i post reply with link how create iray matte shadow but i don't see it !

i test iray matte envirnement and get this result

and i have question : how i can increase or decrease environement intensity ?

Message 9 of 38
seghierk

can we covert the model to editable poly in 3dsmax?

Message 10 of 38
seghierk

hello ; important parts are missing in the model !

and can i remodeled the seat and add small parts on the body for better result ?

Message 11 of 38
MarionLandry

Hi seghierk

Yes, you can do whatever you want or need to the model in 3ds Max Design. 

We are looking forward to your advertisement design.

Good luck

Marion

Message 12 of 38
MarionLandry

Hi seghierk

Yes of course. If you want to add some details and better the model, please go ahead. 

You can have a look at the http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/ web site for inspiration. 

You can see how detailed are the seats of the 3 wheeler and perhaps the missing component. 

Have fun!

Marion

Message 13 of 38
seghierk

Many thanks Marion

two importants questions :

1- i try alot to add texture labels to the car and tires but iray don't support mask maps 

2- the rules say : - Originality of 3 Wheeler material design and customization

that mean we must use only the color and textures  available in morgan 3wheels website ? or we can use different color and textures ?

Message 14 of 38
MarionLandry

Hi seghierk

The logic behind iray is that it is a physically accurate rendering engine.. so it doesn't like (read support) fake materials because it doesn't understand how to rendering it if it's not based on real world information.

So, to answer your question #1. 

Iray supports all the Autodesk Materials as well as the Arch &Design Materials. So what you need to do is to create an extra polygon that you will place right above the area you want the decal to appear. Use a decal image for the material and use the alpha channel in the cutout section. 

It should look something like the image attached. 

DecalIray.png

Question #2. 

You can get inspired by the Morgan Motor web site but you have no limitation on how the car should look like. You are the art director for this advertisement. Make it look amazing!

Hope this helps

Marion

Message 15 of 38
seghierk

Many thanks 🙂 ; creating polygon to add mask map that what i did than i search more simple method 
ok i will use colors a little bit different to morgan original colors 

Message 16 of 38
MarionLandry

Thinking of modeling extra component in 3ds Max Design or Inventor? Look at these image references:

web-site01.png

web-site02.png

web-site03.png

web-site04.png

web-site07.png

web-site06.png

Message 17 of 38
MarionLandry

I have published a Question and Answers document that might help you progress with the competition: http://t.co/3nNLmItNdb

Let me know if you have more questions,

Good luck

Message 18 of 38
MarionLandry

Not sure about the submission process for the Morgan Motor competition? Watch this video http://blog.talenthouse.com/2014/02/27/instructional-video-design-and-ad-for-morgan-motor-company/

Message 19 of 38
seghierk

hello

i will use this free hdr for render the final image

http://www.hdri-locations.com/freesample.php

but the owner says

• For non-commercial use ONLY. 
 • All renderings should be stamped with: "HDRI and
   backplate by www.hdri-locations.com"

can i submit final render stamped with : HDRI and
   backplate by www.hdri-locations.com ?

Message 20 of 38
MarionLandry

Hi,

don't let this detail stop you from submitting your advertisement!

yes for sure, if you are the winner, we will add the credit to your image and comply to the HDRI credit requirement. 

You can add the credit in small prints at the bottom of your image for now. 

Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report