Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

avatar incorrect safety equipment - urgent

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
granite07
436 Views, 6 Replies

avatar incorrect safety equipment - urgent

The avatar is not equipped with the proper safety equipment for highway construction. During a review of a 4D simulation the field crew noted that the safety vest and safety glasses are missing.

While this seems minor, and I assume that building projects do not require safety vests, it is important that if we are showing how the work is going to proceed that we also show it preceding according to safety standards. Adding a vest or even reflective stripes to the overalls, and opaque the eyes with safety glasses, cannot be very difficult from a programming perspective.

This omission is a sufficient distraction that the crew lost interest in the 4D simulation since this software is to them clearly missing enough context that they do not trust it.

Forest Peterson, granite@stanford.edu; build-sheet
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: granite07

... I really hope that was tongue in cheek.

You can build your own avatar - its not programmed.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 7
granite07
in reply to: dgorsman

no, no - if it was tongue in cheek I would have added that the avatar looks like it is wearing a g-string when it bends over - and everyone thought that was really funny, but i did not

so, please be useful and add instructions on how to build a new avatar with safety equipment and hopefully someone at autodesk reads this and changes the default avatar

Message 4 of 7
dgorsman

Safety equipment varies between jurisdictions and even the type of site, so I think thats asking a bit much.  For example, your safety vest and glasses are grossly insufficient for our work.  The hard hat and overalls should be "good enough", seeing as the focus of the program is the model content not "Bob" or his wardrobe choices.  There's also a boatload of different avatars available, including business suit + hardhat and mannequin.

As for a custom avatar, there is a section for that in the help files.  Its just an NWD file.  If I remember correctly, you will need a separate NWD if you want to account for crouching, in the same manner as the existing avatar NWDs.

Message 5 of 7
granite07
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman, yes good counterpoints - and I agree that a thread on avatars is not the one I want to be writing. But...

I searched for instructions to change the avatar and while there is a discussion about new avatars in 2012, I cannot find instructions on how to change between the default characters. Second, there is lots written on custom avatars - I just want one with a safety vest. If they have the time to make one with a business suit, then they certainly have time to fit out one with safety gear.  How much could it cost to take the 12 most common industries and build an avatar for each, with relevant safety equipment. It is probably more like four levels of equipment: low - hardhat, vest, glasses and boots, medium - low + gloves, dustmask, and knee high rubber boots - high - add respirator, goggles, and overhead hearing protection - and max - full hazmat suit - also fall protection if necessary. They can ditch the business suit character in the recycle bin and add the x-men character set.

This is important because if I was a worker with limited language skills in the language my supervisor was speaking in and my education is insufficient to fully grasp the cumulative effects of the environmental hazards I work in, and the avatar in the 4D simulation is wearing a high level of safety gear while my company provided me with a dust mask and safety glasses - I'd ask, 'hey, do I get some of that too'

Message 6 of 7
dgorsman

I've done some "people mods" for inserting into our models (AutoCAD, not Navisworks).  Its surprisingly difficult to get a reasonable-looking person done, even if it was just raising an arm or changing legs from standing to kneeling, which pretty easy to do in comparison to vests, glasses, and the like.  Not sure if AutoDesk actually built the extended avatars (previously in the subscription advantage pack) themselves, I think those might have been licensed/purchased from elsewhere.  If you really want something high-end I would suggest something similar - dip into the 3DSMAX or Maya discussion areas and see if somebody would be willing to meet your specs.

Message 7 of 7
granite07

so the alternative character avatars are not available in the student version ; clearer now.

that is good enough for me - just having this thread here should be sufficient to let the navisworks people know that safety conscious avatars are good to have.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report