Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

acad 2013 DWG (3d model) can't get appended in Navisworks Manage 2013

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
diesellam
1068 Views, 9 Replies

acad 2013 DWG (3d model) can't get appended in Navisworks Manage 2013

See attached file.  It was saved as acad 2013 format.

When I tried to append this file, it gave me this error message "File does not exist or can't be opened."

My turnaround solution now is to downsave it as acad 2010 format and then it will get appended.

I want to know what's the reason of it?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
alan.quinn
in reply to: diesellam

I have no issues appending this file. Can you append any 2013 files? I wonder if something in your autocad template is causing this issue? Perhaps a plug in or add in that is not compatible with the latest version of Navisworks. Can you append this dwg (C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Navisworks Manage 2013\Samples\gatehouse) in the Sample folder?

Message 3 of 10
diesellam
in reply to: alan.quinn

I can append the gatehouse.dwg without any problem.

There's another file I keep having problem as well.

This one I can append the file, but the file shows up as wireframe, not 3d solid.

I have to change the DWG file reader from 2013 to 2010 in order to make it as 3d solid, why?

I wanted to attached the file, but it's 2mb, bigger than the fiels size limit.

If you are interested, I can email you through the dropbox.

Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 10
alan.quinn

Did you check your template for add-ins that may be causing the issue? Send me a link and I'll look at the other file. Thanks.

Message 5 of 10
diesellam

Where can I find the template for the add-ins?

Also, I need your email for sending you the link of the dropbox.

My email is: diesellam@gmail.com

I'm using AutoCAD 2013.

Message 6 of 10
alan.quinn

AutoCAD shipped with a template. If you have an IT department ask them what add-in's were installed. If you do not have an IT department you will have to contact the 3rd party vendor for information. You will have to turn off or otherwise temporarily remove all add-in AutoCAD and test Navisworks Manage with an out of the box AutoCAD file. If it works the issue is in your AutoCAD files.

Message 7 of 10
alan.quinn

Also, upload the file to Dropbox and post the link here.

Message 8 of 10
diesellam

I've never had to do since prior to version 2013.  Why do I have to this for the template all of a sudden?

Is it something added for 2013?

This is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lcjp2qjry8jndir/dnN5KOxiys

Message 9 of 10
alan.quinn

I can append M-L1 in Navisworks 2013. Its not that you have to use the out of the box template, I wanted to be sure that you did not have something in "your" AutoCAD template that was causing an issue in Navisworks. Assuming M-L1 was "not" created in the out of the box AutoCAD template then the issue is in your AutoCAD temoplate, and most likely its an add-in that is not workign correctly when you try an append an AutoCAD file in Navisworks. If this is the case temporarly remore all add-ins in AutoCAD, create a test file and try to open in Navisworks. If it open you found your issue, its one of the add-in's. Add one back in, testing each time untill you find the offending one. Then contact the third party vendor. 

If on the other hand M-L1 "was created" in the out of box AutoCAD template then the issue is in Navisworks. Possible something missing in the install or was not installed correctly. Try a repair install, or do a clean un-install (Google this). Or you have some third party application running in Navisworks that casuing the issue. 

Message 10 of 10
thecheat939

Try going to the Options Editor, File Readers, DWG/DWF, changing DWG loader Version to 2013.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report