Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeliner animation output issue

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
li71we
1047 Views, 4 Replies

Timeliner animation output issue

I have created a big project Navisworks model with Navisworks 2013(64 bits). I stimulate the construction process with Timeliner, everything is good. However, if I output Timeliner to AVI format, it looked like the AVI file size would be larger than 4GB, Navisworks always indicated the operation is cancelled.  if I reduced the FPS and Size so that the final AVI file size was less than 4GB, it would work, but the AVI is not very clear to show.

for my case, I need to make the AVI very clear to demonstrate during a meeting, what can I do for my AVI file?

need your help

Jason

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
PAyre
in reply to: li71we

Two options I use are:

1. Export smaller portions of the timeline and join together in a post production movie editor. There are plenty of these about.

2. The size of the avi produced is dependant on the codec used. If you are using "uncompressed" in the avi options, you will get the best quality for sure because each and every frame is rendered and stored in full, but there are smarter ways available. Modern video compression technology uses all sorts of tricks to maintain almost full quality. Try installing the Xvid codec and use that with a large standard frame size eg at least 1920x1080 and you're avi will be a fraction of the size with very good quality. Make sure to use the 64 bit codec and install to C:\Program Files (x86) so that navisworks will "see" it and make it selectable from the avi options.

Message 3 of 5
li71we
in reply to: PAyre

Thank you very much

Jason

Message 4 of 5
PAyre
in reply to: li71we

you're welcome, but a quick update... just now my Xvid codec seems to be crashing navisworks. I'm testing a fresh install now to see if it's service pack 2 that is responsible.

Message 5 of 5
JeffH_ADSK
in reply to: PAyre

One other item to try would be to vary the resolution at which you are outputting the video. We've had instances where some codecs will crash on being given certain frame sizes to render. One old one used to crash unless it was given a height & width size that was a power of 2...

I will log an issue to examine why the file is failing above 4GB, but it may be dependent on whether the underlying image handling can cope with that size of file, some of which isn't under our control. The actual AVI format is limited to 4GB internally but there are potential workarounds we can explore. As always, no guarantees can be made as to whether this will be addressed.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report