Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful search set import but not working from 2012 to 2013

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
smith1722
1290 Views, 7 Replies

Successful search set import but not working from 2012 to 2013

I can successfully import a search set file (xml) into Navisworks 2013.  When doing so from 2012 to 2013 it seems you have to re-apply all of the settings for each search set.  Is there something i'm missing or is this a known issue? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JeffH_ADSK
in reply to: smith1722

Hi there,

Could you describe the issue in more detail, as to what precisely is failing?

Thanks,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 3 of 8
smith1722
in reply to: JeffH_ADSK

Hi Jeff,

I've exported a xml file for my search sets in Navisworks 2012, then imported that same xml file into a Navisworks 2013 project.  They import into 2013 fine, but the search sets don't seem to work correctly.  By that I mean if I select a search set from the sets window nothing is selected, but under the find items window if i hit find all for that same search set it will highlight all the correct items. 

Mike

Message 4 of 8
kennfarr4884

I tried taking my existing xml search sets developed for 2012 Navisworks and load them into Navisworks 2013 and revieve an error that the import failed.  i assume there is a way to upgrade the xml's so that i dont have to rebuild them in Navisworks 2013?  if anyone can please respond with suggestions that would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Message 5 of 8
Chris_Baze
in reply to: kennfarr4884

I'm running into the same issue here when I open a file created in 2012 with 2013. When I click on my search sets, the correct items highlight... but I cannot see the search set criteria in the Category/Property/Condition/Value box. Is there a way to fix this? Not good news for people who have invested a lot of time creating search sets.

Message 6 of 8
Chris_Baze
in reply to: Chris_Baze

I figured it out. If you click on your search set in the "find" box, it will not show you the selection criteria. IF you click on your search set in the "sets" box, it will. 

Message 7 of 8
JeffH_ADSK

We have discovered an issue that may be related to this.

The way you can find out if this applies to you is to examine the relevant XML export for the saved search. If it contains a fragment of the following form:

<locator><empty or not></locator>

then the search is valid. The locator is describing what part of the model to search. An empty locator means 'entire model'. If no locator entry is present at all, then this issue or something similar has affected you.

If in NW2013 or earlier you select parts of the model to search under in Find Items, then unselect that in the same Find Items selection tree, and then save the search before running a Find All, then the search saved is actually set to search nothing despite appearances. We've always interpreted 'nothing selected' as 'search entire model' but unfortunately in this case it really gets stored as 'nothing to search'. This yields saved searches that do nothing.

As a workaround, always verify your saved searches prior to export by clicking on them (in the primary Selection Tree panel or in the Sets panel) & verifying that they do find something, and always run a Find to verify that it finds what you want before saving the search. Finally, you can always add a suitable <locator></locator> entry manually to the XML.

This issue is being looked at for future releases. If you should find other routes by which you end up with missing locator entries in exported XML, please make Support aware.

@Chris_Baze wrote:

I figured it out. If you click on your search set in the "find" box, it will not show you the selection criteria. IF you click on your search set in the "sets" box, it will. 

Do you mean selecting the search set in the Find Items dialog itself? That selection tree is indicating what to search under. In that case, you would be making a search that searches within the found items of the preexisting search set.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 8 of 8
Buffyclwn
in reply to: JeffH_ADSK

I am getting the same error, however it is when I export from 2013, not just 2012. I verified that the information was there but I still get the import failed message. Any ideas?  Thanks!

See below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

- <findspec mode="all" disjoint="1">
- <conditions>
- <condition test="equals" flags="26">
- <property>
  <name internal="LcOaSceneBaseClassUserName">Type</name>
  </property>
- <value>
  <data type="wstring">FITTING</data>
  </value>
  </condition>
  </conditions>
  <locator>/</locator>
  </findspec>
  </exchange>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report