Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit models (nwc's) don't line up in Navisworks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
AnmarieJames8335
7135 Views, 7 Replies

Revit models (nwc's) don't line up in Navisworks

Hi all,

I created 2 models in Revit - 1 arch, 1 electrical. They line up just fine in Revit. But today when I created an NWC of each model and brought them into Navis, they didn't line up.  I can't figure out why, or how to fix it.

Looking at other posts, I checked that the project basepoint locations are the same in each Revit file.  They are. I also checked the Importer to see if I was using Shared or Project Internal Coordinates. I tried it both ways, neither works.

When bringing the files into Navisworks (Manage 2012...from Revit 2012), I tried using open and selecting them both. I tried using Append and selecting the both, then selecting them 1 at a time. No difference.

I'm fairly new to Navis, so I'm open to any ideas.

AJ

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dennis
in reply to: AnmarieJames8335

How was the RVT model setup in the first place?  Was "origin to origin" used?  If so, then you are right to be confused.  If "center to center" was used, then that would be the reason for the problem you are having now.  If they are aligned correctly in your RVT file, try Exporting out the NWC with the option to grab links as well.  Then you will have just one NWC with both files.  Use the NW Appearance Profiler to get the two files to color differently if you so wish.

Message 3 of 8
AnmarieJames8335
in reply to: dennis

It was so long ago when I created these files, I don't actually remember, but I would assume I used origin to origin, simply because that's been my default for 15 years of Autocad and "center to center" seems weird to me. Having said that, the project base point in both files is in the same place relative to the building. Doesn't that confirm alignment of some type?

Whatever that issue, I did as you suggested and brought them in as one NWC. That seems to be working out just fine.

It would be nice to understand how this happens, so I can avoid it or manage it more efficiently in the future.

Thanks,

AJ

Message 4 of 8
cdover13

I had this problem the other day, but they were just at different elevations. If you look under the selection tree, it shows link base points. Check to see if they are the exact same for each link. Best of luck!
Message 5 of 8
AnmarieJames8335
in reply to: cdover13

Can you elaborate on that? I don't see anything about links in the selection tree except hyperlinks. I think you're on to something with the base points being off, because some of my light fixtures appear to be about 3 feet outside the room they're intended for. The elevations of the 2 nwc files match. Anmarie
Message 6 of 8
cdover13

Right click on the link and look for "units and transform". I think you are able to set the location from the pop-up box.
Message 7 of 8

Hello,

The same happened to me. I did the next things:

-Open the ifc directly in Revit (R menu>open>ifc file).

-Then, save it like an *.rvt file.

-The next step is link that rvt into the main project

-Select it (the ifc converted), and in the properties browser appears:

1.png

-Click it.

-You must select this option:

2.png

-Save the main project. You will find a window asking if you need save the new coordinates into the linked file

3.png

Now you can open the rvt (old IFC file) in Navisworks and attach in your projects.

Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
N.M._Thomas
in reply to: cdover13

I have been struggling trying to resolve this issue. This is genius.

I just set all my model point to 0,0,0 for all of my links and they line up perfectly. Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report