Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks plugin debugging

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
DEVR4402
402 Views, 2 Replies

Navisworks plugin debugging

Hi all, do we have to restart Navisworks after any change in our plugin code for debugging?

It has been raised for a long time and seems really stupid. ADSK cannot find a way for our poor users?

I know there is an approach in Revit to save us from restarting the host app when debugging.

If you know there is a way, please share it.

Thanks a lot.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: DEVR4402

The Navisworks API forum may be more appropriate: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Navisworks-API/bd-p/600, as would ADN.

I suspect the limitation is one of Windows and dotNET rather than something under AutoDesks control.  Not *that* familiar with Revit, but from what I understand its more of a scripting language than dotNET compiled to MSIL.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 3
IanBadcoe
in reply to: DEVR4402

Hi,

Once a plugin is loaded the only way to get it unloaded is to restart the NW process.

Dgorsman is essentially correct in that because this is compiled .NET code it would be much harder to unload than a script-based plugin.  I won't say it is impossible, but it would probably require writting an architecture devoted to plug-in unloading, and then rewriting the whole product to work with that.  So it would basically be an enormous investment for the benefit of only a small fraction of users.

The upside of .Net plugins is that the achievable performance should easily out perform a script-based interface.  So if you want your plugin to process 10,000 clash results, it should be relatively easy...

Regards,

Ian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report