Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks Quantification

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
katiebacon
472 Views, 6 Replies

Navisworks Quantification

Hi,

I'm relatively new to using quantification on Navisworks. I have a project which requires the model elements to be detailed to match LOD 200. I modelled a 3D project in AutoCAD 2014, using loft and extrusion and in places using surfaces to make the structure look correct. Now I've appended this drawing to Navis, and have added a timeliner to show the progress, but quantification doesn't seem to work. Am I missing something here? Do I need to add properties to my surfaces in AutoCAD to allow the quantification process to take place?

Katie

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: katiebacon

From what I've researched, Quantification only works for a specific number of applications which doesn't include vanilla AutoCAD.  Makes sense though - there is no defined data in AutoCAD to count.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 7
katiebacon
in reply to: dgorsman

Do you mean to say that I should have used a different programme to model to allow quantification to work? Is there a way that I can export the information on AutoCAD to a different programme to allow the quantification process to work? Which software am I best using?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tony Gee and Partners LLP, 4th Floor, 183 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow, G2 5QD, UK.
Tel: +44 (0)141 226 2470, Web: www.tonygee.com
NCE/ACE Consultant of the Decade (SME Category)

Tony Gee and Partners LLP Registered Number: OC316614. Registered in England and Wales. Registered Office: 140 High Street, Esher, Surrey, KT10 9QJ, UK.
This email is confidential and is for use only by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient the contents of this email must not be disseminated to any other party by any means. If you receive this email in error please contact us immediately and delete the email from your system.
Message 4 of 7
IanBadcoe

Quantification works with DWG files, but as said there may not be any set-up shipped that applies directly to vanilla AutoCAD because how would we know what sort of thing you were trying to take off.

However you can set everything up yoursel fif you need to...

Quantification works through several stages:

1) you need to have the types of items/materials that you want to quantify defined in the catalog

2) you need map properties from the incoming model into take-off variables so that quanitification has some numbers to work on

3) then you just need to select and take-off the items you are quantifying

There are various different approaches to each of these and some utilities to help you do them, however without knowing more about how you need to work it is difficult to recommend anything.

I think there are some tutorials in the help pages...  videos I think.  They may date mostly from previous years, but we haven't removed anything, so hopefully you should find the tutorials still apply and there's just some more some stuff to make things easier now.

Ian

Message 5 of 7
katiebacon
in reply to: IanBadcoe

Hi Ian,

Could you please point me in the direction of the tutorials as I've had trouble finding anything to help me.

To give you a bit of background, I'm modelling a 3D underpass. I've extruded shapes in AutoCAD to create the model. Each item (such as walls, foundations etc is on a different layer for quantification). The layer naming system I've used is part of my company policy. I've then appended this to Navis and tried to quantify using the catalogues available. Can I add a new catalogue which would recognise the layers naming system I am using?

Sorry, I am quite new to this and not sure how to carry out the following:

1) you need to have the types of items/materials that you want to quantify defined in the catalogue
2) you need map properties from the incoming model into take-off variables so that quantification has some numbers to work on

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tony Gee and Partners LLP, 4th Floor, 183 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow, G2 5QD, UK.

Tony Gee and Partners LLP Registered Number: OC316614. Registered in England and Wales. Registered Office: 140 High Street, Esher, Surrey, KT10 9QJ, UK.
This email is confidential and is for use only by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient the contents of this email must not be disseminated to any other party by any means. If you receive this email in error please contact us immediately and delete the email from your system.
Message 6 of 7
IanBadcoe

Hi,

Have you seen here: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/navisworks-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/201...

Also if you search for "navisworks quantification" on YouTube there are lots of results, some of which may be from users who have been through very similar learning curves to you...

Regards,

Ian

Message 7 of 7
katiebacon
in reply to: IanBadcoe

Ok, thanks for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report