Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks Freedom 2013 embedded datatools properties?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jmenacker
1711 Views, 7 Replies

Navisworks Freedom 2013 embedded datatools properties?

Is documentation for viewing embedded datatools properties available? 

The publish page in Navisworks Manage 2013 includes a check box for Embed Database Properties.  The Autodesk Navisworks Features web page indicates:

• Additional features in Navisworks Freedom include sectioning and embedded Datatools properties."

Are other steps required besides publishing from Navis 2013 with "Embed Database Properties" checked and opening in Navisworks Freedom 2013?

It is noted that unlike the web based features page, the Navisworks Freedom 2013 help file does not mention embedded datatools properties under What's New In This Release > Miscellaneous Enhancements.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Joe Menacker

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JeffH_ADSK
in reply to: jmenacker

Hi Joe,

There should be no other steps required other than embedding during publishing. The properties will be visible in the Properties pane as they would be in Manage.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 3 of 8
dustinfike
in reply to: JeffH_ADSK

Does the model have to be published from Manage 2013?  Can freedom 2013 read data embedded into an NWD from Manage 2009?

Message 4 of 8
jmenacker

We have a NWF file that was originally created in NWM 2012.  The file was opened in NWM 2013 and a Datatools link was created via the File Options>Datatools tab.  Datatools Properties show up fine in NWM 2013.

The 2013 NWF was published from NWM 2013 with Embed Database Properties checked.  However, no Datatools Properties appear when the published file is opened in Navisworks Freedom 2013.

Might the fact that the file was originally created in an earlier version of Navisworks contribute to the Datatools Properties not showing up in NWF 2013?  The file can be opened side by side in both NWM and NWF.  Datatools Properties show up in NWM but not NWF.

Thank you,

Joe Menacker

Message 5 of 8
jmenacker

Update:

It turns out that on Publish, data properties do not become embedded in the created NWD.  In the NWM 2013 Publish dialog box Embed Database Properties is checked.  Database Properties are not available in the published file when openend in Navisworks Manage or Navisworks Freedom.

Database Properties do show up fine in the original Navis 2013 NWF file.  The data link was created through the File Options>DataTools dialog.  The NWF file containing the Database Link is a federation of several NWD files that were originally IFC exports from Tekla.

Any clarification on what might be going wrong is appreciated.

Joe Menacker

Message 6 of 8
JeffH_ADSK

Hi Joe,

Is this related at all to your other query here about having to recreate DataTools links from scratch when importing from 2012 (which is also odd)? The issues sound intimately related, as in both cases the existing data from NW2012 should be unchanged and continue to work.

Could you try exporting the link and importing as a Global DataTools link and see if that makes any difference? (i.e. the DataTools that is machine-wide, rather than from File Options).

Regardless I would recommend sending the problem file & steps to Support so we can investigate in more detail.

Thanks,

Jeff

To dustin's query: Freedom 2013 should read older published files with embedded properties in them. I have opened a test file of embedded properties I made with NW2010 without issue.

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 7 of 8
jmenacker

Jeff:  Thanks for the reply.  This is the same set of files with troubles maintaining database links from Navis 2012 to 2013.  It is not yet clear if the two issues are related.

A Subscription Case was opened about embedding database properties.  Some simple example files and instructions for embedding database properties were provided.  The instructions were to Publish from an NWD file.  Embedded database properties worked fine on the test file.

We had previously been trying to publish with "embed database properties" from an NWF file.  We saved our own files to NWD and tried publishing with embedded database properties.  Database properties were embedded successfully when publishing from an NWD.  I'm not yet sure if embedding database properties can only be done from an NWD?

Regards,

Joe Menacker

Message 8 of 8
JeffH_ADSK

Hi Joe,

I've tried a general publish from an NWF with embedding on, and I can view the resultant NWD & embedded properties in Freedom 2013 without issue. It sounds like a more specific problem to the use-case you're trying, potentially around the problem with converting from 2012.

Best regards,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report