Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks 2014 Points from pointcloud outside limit box

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
tor_christian
1437 Views, 8 Replies

Navisworks 2014 Points from pointcloud outside limit box

Limit box problem Navisworks.jpg

Hi.

With the release of Navisworks 2014 I am having trouble with the use of limit box and point cloud data.

When I need to section out specific areas of the point cloud, the limitbox is not able to make distinct boundaries for the point cloud.

Instead, it loads all point data inside the limitbox and some of the data close to it.

Does anyone else experience this problem and/or have a solution to it?

Please see attached image for better understanding of the problem.

Best regards

Tor-Christian, Industrivisualsiering AS

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tim.wiegand
in reply to: tor_christian

What point cloud format are you using? Is it ReCap data?

Do you get the same problem if you turn off hardware acceleration or use the Presenter renderer instead of the Autodesk one? (Options -> Interface -> Display).

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 3 of 9
tor_christian
in reply to: tim.wiegand

Thanks for the reply.
The solution was to turn off the hardware acceleration.

The point cloud is imported from a pts-file.

Best regards
Tor-Christian, Industrivisualsiering AS

Message 4 of 9
dgorsman

Not quite a solution, but more a diagnostic procedure.  What graphics card do you have?  Is it certified for use with Navisworks?  Is it actually being used, as newer processors have on-chip graphics (nVidia Optimus is known for causing this problem)?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 9
archi-scan

Hi,

we have encountered a different problem with the rcp Import in Navisworks Manage: Even though all scans are positioned correctly in the ReCap file and Navisworks Simulate, Freedom and Autocad open the point cloud correctly, when using Manage all scans seem to have the same center position and are displayed as a single "ball of scans" instead of using the determined registration.

Has anybody experienced the same?

best regards

J. Rechenbach

laser-scanning-architecture.com

Germany

Message 6 of 9
tim.wiegand
in reply to: archi-scan

That's strange. The ReCap functionality in Simulate and Manage is exactly the same. Are you comparing Simulate and Manage behavior on two different machines? Is it possible that you don't have the same version installed (maybe one has the service pack, one not), or maybe its a graphics card problem again?

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 7 of 9
mail

Hi Tim,

you are right, it is on two different machines. The not working machine is in a company network installation (English language). But the Freedom Version is fine here, too!  On my workstation, single German installation, the rcp pointcloud works fine in any Autodesk application (BDS 2014). All machines have the 2014 SP 1 (build 7601).

We could not find any solutions in the options menu, either.

Is it possible that there are options in the installation process?

Message 8 of 9
tim.wiegand
in reply to: mail

There are no installation time options for the ReCap support. The only other thing I can think of is that some of the global option settings are different between Freedom and Manage on the problem machine. In particular compare the Interface -> Display options and the File Readers -> ReCap options.

If that doesn't show anything I think you will need to contact Support.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 9 of 9
mail

Hi Tim,

we have checked the display options in the recap-reader already. Maybe it is a matter of having the navisworks SP1 installed correctly. Before installing it on a new system, I found the same problem with the "ball-scan". Now with the SP1 it works fine!

jo

Archi-Scan

Laser-Scanning-Architecture.com 

Germany

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report