Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks 2014: Measure Shortest Distance Zooms Out

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
JoeVernice
3180 Views, 23 Replies

Navisworks 2014: Measure Shortest Distance Zooms Out

Whenever I measure using the shortest distance tool in Navisworks 2014 the display automatically zooms out to a different view. This is very annoying and did not happen in Navisworks 2012/2013. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?

JMV

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Yes, I also have it with Freedom 2014.

Performing a "focus on item" on the selected objects does not help.

Pressing UNDO once or twice DOES help.

Annoying indeed.

Message 3 of 24
alan.quinn
in reply to: JoeVernice

I believe this functionality changed in 2014. I tested and the application will zoom in to show you the dimension but it should not zoom to a different view. All I needed to do was pan after the initial zoom to see the elements I selected. See the attached images. If the application is doing something different let me know.

Image_1 after initial zoom

Image_2 after pan

Thanks for posting. 

Message 4 of 24
JoeVernice

Alan,

In many cases the zoom in/out is more extreme, perhaps my model is larger in scope or I am measuring between larger objects. Either way this requires an extra step of UNDO to get back to my original location which is annoying. I really don't care to see the visual dimension reported in the model window as I am using the Measure Tools Pallet to report the actual X, Y, or Z difference.

Thank you for looking into this,

Joe Vernice

Message 5 of 24

Also here, the zoom is much more, probably because the first object selected (the pipe) is 23 meters long

Message 6 of 24
alan.quinn

I did a little more digging and found a few internal cases where development is looking into this. Perhaps in the future this will be changes.

Thanks again,

Message 7 of 24
steveperkio

I also have this issue and it's holding up my meetings having to backtrack with undo or traveling back to the location I was happy with when I clicked on "measure shortest distance".

Thanks for looking into the issue and I look forward to the update changing it back retaining the current view.

Regards,

Perk

Message 8 of 24
jalcarazsd
in reply to: alan.quinn

I really hope this becomes a priority..... very annoying.

Message 9 of 24

Still the same behaviour in 2014SP1...

Message 10 of 24
stahci

I am also having this issue, It has become quite the nusance when reviewing the model.

Message 11 of 24
Nole
in reply to: stahci

I found extremely usefull to save viewpoint before taking measure of shortest distance. In that case you can convert to redline and get that saved.

Regards,

Небойша НОВКОВИЧ
ООО "Конкуратор", Москва
Активист Сообщества пользователей

Message 12 of 24
stahci
in reply to: Nole

I hate to say it but the viewpoint redline fix is a work around is more of a pain, I hope Autodesk fixes this.

Message 13 of 24
rsloyer

NW Manage 2014, especially as part of the Suite package that Autodesk is pushing on everyone these days, seems to be one of the worst supported, and most buggy, version to date.  We've been using NW since 2009 and I've never had a version that was so prone to crash, odd view jumps, and generally other nuisances.

I'm going back to 2013.  I can't keep stopping my workflow because the program crashes.

Message 14 of 24
stahci

I agree I am very disappointed with NW and Autodesk in general lately. Hopefully they get things figured out internally.

Message 15 of 24
rsloyer

Navisworks has always been the redheaded stepchild of the Autodesk family.  No support, no valid training, everyone just learns it on their own and then guards what they know and refuses to share...

I have yet to encounter an Autodesk person, reseller or direct employee, that can offer any sort of help or guidance with anything related to Navisworks.  And with no internal IT support at my company level (who can blame them, the manufacturer doesn't even know what to do) it means all of the Navisworks users I know have to become their own pit crew in addition to being the driver.  Imagine Mario Andretti pulling in to pit row, getting out of the car, single-handedly jacking it up, chaning every tire, and fueling it up before un-jacking it and getting back in to resume the race.

Ridiculous.

Message 16 of 24
stahci
in reply to: rsloyer

Bump. Anyone with Autodesk capable of contributing to this discussion? This has really become an issue for me and using the software efficiently 

Message 17 of 24
jalcarazsd

CTRL+Z   .... This will take you back.

Message 18 of 24

Same issue for me. Very annoying and a break in work flow. Here are my before and after measurements.

Message 19 of 24
rsloyer
in reply to: tylerrdavis

Once I installed all of the current updates/service packs/etc. this problem went away for me.

Message 20 of 24
stahci
in reply to: Nole

I have everything up to date and I am still having issues. It no longer zooms way out for everything, however if I were to select a floor and a pipe fitting it will pull me outside of the building to show the whole floor. Control+Z does work however I prefer how the 2013 measured shortest distance, one click and it showed me the shortest distance. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report