Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks 2010 Manage Error "Contents Are Corrupt" Then Cannot Open .NWF

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1812 Views, 7 Replies

Navisworks 2010 Manage Error "Contents Are Corrupt" Then Cannot Open .NWF

I have received this error message a few times and I cannot retrieve the file (.nwf) no matter what I try. I have also tried recovering the backups (25), but that was also to no avail.

The error message reads:

{color:#ff0000}Couldn't l{color:#ff0000}oad NAME.nwf because the contents are corrupt{color}

C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Desktop\Navisworks\NAME.nwf{color}

I clashed multiple .nwd files that I had appended into my .nwf file, and saved often. Since I got this error message before while on the company's server Drive, I thought that if I worked only from my desktop that would solve the issue, but tonight to my dissapointment I got that same message, and now I have to somehow find another earlier version of the .nwf file. I lost around 10 to 11 hours worth of clashes and viewpoints that I had created. (5:30am to 5:00pm) I had copied the entire folder onto a thumb drive from my work pc's desktop, and then copied that onto my laptop at home to finish creating viewpoints for clashes, but I got this message. I called my coworker, and he tried opening the original .nwf from my pc's desktop, but he also got received message.

Is there anything that I can do to retrieve this .nwf file, and not ever have this happen again? I had to cancel an important meeting that was scheduled for tomorrow, but without the model I cannot justify holding the meeting.

Thanks,
Michael D. LaMarra

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have gotten something like that before when I was sent files from a newer CAD version, than the Navisworks version I was using.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Ran into this error the other day and luckily the third autosave file was not corrupt and was able to open that file, lossing only a half hour of work. BUT, my question is, what can be done to get a notification that the autosave is corrupt? I lucked out, bt cannot remeber what happened between those 15 minutes that messed up the file. Wouldn't it be a good idea if the autosave kicked up a warning that there was a problem?
Message 4 of 8
JeffH_ADSK

Hi Michael (and others having this issue),

In order to track down this issue, we really need reproduction files & steps to determine how the resulting Navisworks files are being corrupted. We have had no incidents of corruption in our internal tests, so we'd like to know more about how this is occurring.

Typically once the corruption has occurred, the product is only able to tell you that the file is corrupt. If however we can reproduce the action that caused the corruption in the first place, there is a chance of preventing it in the future.

The auto-save mechanism uses a similar saving system to that of manually saving a file, so any corruption would likely be duplicated in both.

Thanks,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Jeff,
All that I can remember happening is the operator of the program selected a large quantity of clashes and marked reviewed, then realized he had made a mistake and re-selected those clashes and returned the status of the clashes back to active.

HOWEVER, there was no indication that the file was corrupt or something was wrong at this point, that is more of my concern... there seems to be a need for the program to tell you your in trouble before your autoaves are also all corrupt. We have told team members to do a standard save to their files every 30 minutes. I am hoping that on a standard save if the file has become corrupt that there will be some indication of such.

As it is now the only time you know there is a problem is when you go to open the file, then you find it is corrupt.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I just experienced this issue and have lost an NWF fil that I've been working on for weeks. Similar to the post above, I will likely have to cancel a meeting I have scheduled this morning due to this error. The half saving grace is that I always save a file as an NWD and an NWF. Although I never use the NWD, this is a backup. I however don't have the viewports that I typically need.

I don't have any clue why this happened. I open these files many times per day every day. Autodesk, do you have any new feedback?
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I have been having the same problem.  about every 2 weeks my NWF is corrupt.  I guess I will have to save backups more often so I do not lose my clashes.  I thought it was due to the complexity:

My NWF file includes:

Automatically export PMDS to RVM file

Exported .ATT files

Customer DGN files

I thought the problem was caused by something in the newly created RVM files.  Either too different from previous files or some other confusion with existing clash reports.  Did not seem to have issue when using review, so something with the management of clashes?

Definitely a time and inconvenience to redo all the clashes and statuses.

I do not use the colors.txt file, but am looking into its use.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JeffH_ADSK

I am facing the same issue. My os got crashed and I recovered all my file including Navisworks file, but when I am trying to open the NWF files it is showing the the files are currupted. Is there any way to repair or recover it..??

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report