Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWD: Embed database properties does not work for Freedom?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Renzo_van_Rijswijk
1549 Views, 10 Replies

NWD: Embed database properties does not work for Freedom?

I am using NW Manage 2011. When using the Embed database properties, you will see these properties in Manage when you open the NWD file and select an object.

But why does it not work in Freedom 2011?

Renzo

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi renzobeta

Hello. Currently, embedded database properties – properties attached through Datatools, do not load in Freedom, as Freedom does not currently have the Datatools module to access the linked information. The use of "embedded properties" will be useful in Manage and Simulate.

If you would like, you can submit this as a system enhancement to our development group. The form is located here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Our Development group uses these requests to determine the future growth of the application. A submission would definitely be helpful.

Thank you for participating in our community!
David Dembkoski, Autodesk Product Support

David Dembkoski
Message 3 of 11

Hi,

I'm searching for a long time why it doesn't work in Freedom!  

For my needs, there is no need for Freedom to have the Datatools module.  What I need (and it is how I understand this functionality) is to be able to send a published model to a client with all the datas that come from a database embeded in the nwd file.  Even if Freedom has the datatools module, it doesn't mean that the client will have necessary access to the database.  So the best would be that a copy of the datas are stored in the nwd file.  In this way, the nwd file can be use anywhere, anytime.

Steph.

Message 4 of 11

Stephane,

I totally agree with you.

According to the Tutorial this should work

Renzo

Message 5 of 11

I totally agree with Stephane. I do not want a link, I want to embed the data into the NWD so I can give it to someone else to use it...

I filled in the form some time ago. Is there some development in this issue.

I am needing it now very hard!

Renzo

Message 6 of 11
mmhill
in reply to: dembkod

Does Navisworks Freedom 2012 support viewing "Embeded" data?

Message 7 of 11

Hi renzobeta,

I was wondering if you could tell me which Tutorial you are referring to? As far as I know we don't indicate that it is possible to load embedded database properties in Freedom. However, it may be that you have just located a documentation error, which we need to fix. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Galyna

Galyna Key
User Assistance Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 11

Search for Embed in the tutorial

You will find a link to Publish Dialog Box

There is a section about Embed Database Properties

I quote

"Select this check box if you want to embed all properties accessed via external databases in the published file.

By default, this check box is clear, and only the database links are stored in the published file."

So, when I read this I understand that properties are set in the published file. These properties come from external sources. A published file is a NWD. So, all the information is stored and should be visibile in Freedom...

I think this is not hard to implement for Autodesk.

In fact - a couple of add-ins - can do this already. But it should be default functionality

Renzo

Message 9 of 11

Hi renzobeta,

Thanks for your reply. I've checked the user documentation, and can see that you are referring to the user help supplied with Autodesk Manage. The user help supplied with Freedom does not contain any information on publishing NWD files. However, I can see your point. We will add a note to our Freedom documentation to say that embedded database properties are not supported when opening NWD files in Freedom. As far as the second part of your request is concerned (making this functionality available to Freedom users), I will pass your suggestions directly to the Navisworks product management team.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Galyna

Galyna Key
User Assistance Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 11
mmhill
in reply to: galyna.key

Autodesk Technical Support confirmed the only way to see attribute data in Freedom is by adding through the "Add Properties" API, which is very slow.  It would be very advantageous for Freedom to support viewing attributes that have been added via the DataLinks API.

thanks

Message 11 of 11

This has not been corrected with Freedom 2012 as far as I can tell.

Can Freedom 2013 or 2014 view the embeded database properties?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report