Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWC Export Utility issue

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
ntanner
4790 Views, 32 Replies

NWC Export Utility issue

When usint the NWC exporter for Revit 2013, I have one model that takes unusualy long time to export.
After it finishes the progress of all the elements, ie (4446/4446) and before it says writting to file, it regenerates graphics for multiple views in the project. (watch status bar in Video Capture of error.)  5 Min but only need to watch from about 30 seconds to 1min30 seconds to see the problem.

• It is not a workshared model
  • There are no linked files loaded
  • The 3D view being exported is the only view open.
  • The Revit file is 209 MB.
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: ntanner

To help troubleshoot, please post a journal from the session where you saw this behavior.

The journal should be in the location below:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\<Revit Version>\Journals

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 3 of 33
ntanner
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Thank you for addressing my concern.

I had cleared out my journal files since the last post, but I ran the command again today to regenerate a new journal file. It is attached.

Message 4 of 33
chrisjulia

We are experiencing the same issues on a very large model that is using worksets. It gets to 100% but then just sits and regenerates all the views in the model.

Message 5 of 33
chogge

We have been experiencing the same issues with the exporting of the Navis files.  It started with just one Revit 2013 project having this issue.  We are now working on a second project that has the same issue in Revit 2014.

Has anyone found the solution to this issue?

I have included my journal file for your use.

Message 6 of 33
steveperkio
in reply to: chogge

Ditto.
I have the same issue on a few on my files.
Most export in a flash and some take minutes..

Journal is attached from one of the problematic files.

Perk

Message 7 of 33
channond

Has anyone been able to solve this problem yet? I have seen keynotes mentioned as the cause, however on my project we are not using keynotes, and still experiencing the same problem. It is very frustrating.

Message 8 of 33
channond
in reply to: channond

We were advised by Autodesk support that the cause of this issue for us was to do with the grids. Being a MEP project the fix was quite easy, we just deleted all grids in the project and re copy monitored them and the export now works fine.

Message 9 of 33
jgardner

I've had the same issue with multiple projects. We've tried everything.... except the Grids ^^^^.

Confirmed, resolved. (at least on this project.)

I had found the architect had a workset 'monitored grids'. Removed the grids on that workset, retried the exports to nwc, and things exported instantly. No more 17 minute waits.

Thanks for the tip!

Message 10 of 33
dtpeter2901

I'm runing into a slightly similar issue.

I can get my file to export but the results are not what I expected.

We have a large structural model (310+MB) for about half of a 1.4mil sqft facility we've been working on for a while.  We recently upgraded the file from 2013 to 2014.  Before we were exporting .NWC files just fine.  NWC file would be about 5000+Kb when exported.  After we've upgraded the file size is now 150,000Kb. 

Can anyone explain what's going on here.  What changed that would cause this behavior.  How is it I can have a file that I've not added much to, but the export is now 30x larger than it was when exported in 2013. 

Is this the new norm?

What am I missing here?

(Using the 2014 Ultimate Suite - i7 on 64 bit windows with 32gb of Ram)

Message 11 of 33
gfisher2014
in reply to: jgardner

When you say you deleted the Grids on the Architectural Monitered workset, do you mean that you deleted the grids in your linked file or just the grids that your file that were copy monitered?

Message 12 of 33
steveperkio
in reply to: gfisher2014

Delete your own copied/monitored grids and the problem goes away.

Some have noted that they are re-copying/monitoring the grids with better results. I've been leaving mine deleted and just using the arch or structural grids.

Perk

Message 13 of 33
gfisher2014
in reply to: steveperkio

Thanks,

Message 14 of 33
J450NP13

Detach it from central...with no worksets....open on your local and then export.

Have you tried that?  Are you trying to do this over the network... that is just asking for issues...no matter what solution you are using.

Message 15 of 33
channond
in reply to: J450NP13

We managed to resolve the problem by just deleting all grids, copy monitored or not. Then purging the model and recopy monitoring the grids. This was a good result as we didnt have to keep revisiting the problem everytime we needed to export to navis.

Message 16 of 33
gfisher2014

Thanks Channond,

I haven't tried copy monitoring the grids back in yet.  For now I just detached from central and deleted all of the grids.  That seemed to resolve the problem.  Next step will be to put the grids back and see if that is a permanent solution.

Message 17 of 33
kevinshep
in reply to: gfisher2014

I have had this same problem (Revit 2014 NWC export), thanks to this thread I was able to resolve it HOWEVER ithas come back 😞

1. after sometime with no issues we suddenly experienced huge slow downs with NWC export and noticed it was exporting every view!
  2. found this thread and removed the copy/monitored grids (makes sense as the grids are a 3d element and display on each view) and problem solved
  3. later I needed a grid line so added local (non-copy/monitored) grids for dimensions and display
  4. after sometime with no problems the problem has resurfaced!! and i am currently posting this as i wait for an NWC export to finish
  5. deleted ALL GRIDS, re-run the NWC export and bam it's done!

Looks like GRIDS in general are the problem - even local ones!

Message 18 of 33
jgardner
in reply to: kevinshep

Are you in a live file, or are you detached when you make your exports? was also curious if your export views are using all open worksets, or if you've specified only those on load?
We've also moved to a 'clean' approach with our (modern software) exports, as we make sure only the items we essentially want exported, are showing within that view. eg, unchecking links, hiding worksets, not just turning off all annotations, but unchecking the categories as well.
Although, our current 2015/16 exports are using view templates, it doesn't seem to cause any issues like it did in past versions. now our only problem has been views failing to create due to a section box cutting through electrical fittings or through a void.
Message 19 of 33
J450NP13

I would go as far as exporting just the model as a DWG and appending that...delete everything except the model itself.

Delete everything....in AutoCad delete all 2D elements and purge all of it.
Message 20 of 33
jgardner
in reply to: J450NP13

if the cad exports give the same nwc functionality as a direct export would create, then go for it. appending cad would just convert it to nwc on load within Navisworks anyways.
But if it's just creating a mass, its not going to be very helpful. you'd have to create multiple exports.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report