Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IFC Wall Quantification Issues

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1221 Views, 7 Replies

IFC Wall Quantification Issues

I'm trying to conduct a take off of partition wall types from an IFC file exported from ArchiCAD.  I am finding that the the only result that is returned is the Count field.  All other parameters are returning 0.000 amounts. 

I have tried selecting all the walls using every Selection resolution and this has made no difference.  I had set up a search set to on IFCWALLTYPE to identify the partition name, and then have isolated these objects so I can see them.

Thinking this was an ArchiCAD issue, I tried to test this with a Revit file.  I found again that some of the quantification parameters were returning 0.000 results for fields like ModelHeight and ModelLength etc.

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
obrienfionn
in reply to: Anonymous

Assuming this is occuring because you are using a non Autodesk format file?

Has anyone managed to use the Navisworks 2014 quantification tool for IFC (exported from Bentley AECOsim and/or Tekla Structures)? I am new to this feature and struggling to get to grips with it.

The beauty of Navisworks was it's ability to read other formats, it seems an awful shame for large multi-discpline and thus multi-format projects if this feature doesn't allow for a workflow for non-Autodesk formats....or can someone direct me?

help?

Message 3 of 8

Happy to take a look at the files if you can share. 

Generally speaking there are two things that need to happen for the quantity values to show in the workbook:

- They need to be in the IFC file (sort of obvious) and show up in the Navisworks object properties. Click on the wall and check the properties - if you find the values you need for Quantification, read on. If not check whether the source application exported them. 

- Because different applications put these properties under different categories it's impossible to provide an out of the box mapping. Therefore you will need to map the model properties to your takeoff properties. With Navisworks 2015 this has become a whole lot easier through the provision of a property mapping dialog. 

08-04-2014 15-26-19.png

Thomas Schwaiger
Product Manager
Autodesk

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: thomas.schwaiger

Thomas,

Thank you for looking into this. I am hoping to be up and running soon with Navisworks 2015 but in the meantime any help with understanding how to map IFC properties would be greatly appreciated. See the image below which shows how the IFC properties are apparent in Navisworks. I have attached the IFC file.

IFC Quantification.JPG

Fionn

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Just realised the properties information is not legible in the previous image.

IFC Properties.jpg

Message 6 of 8
thomas.schwaiger

Hi Fionn, 

in 2015 you can map the properties through an easy to use dialog. 

In 2014 you can do the same through editing some XML files. This white paper explains the process http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/navisworks-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-... and any property mapping you have created with 2014 can also be used with 2015. Essentially there is a configuration file that lets you associate the file properties with the relevant takeoff property. 

Hope that helps!

Thomas Schwaiger
Product Manager
Autodesk

Message 7 of 8
BIMAbhi
in reply to: thomas.schwaiger

I am facing the the mapping issue while map any IFC property (which came from Tekla interface) with Navisworks quantification. We are using

Sharing one example with the snap for easy reference.

Try to map Tekla IFC property "Net Weight" in Navisworks Model Weight. However the values not came into the Quantification Workbook. Please suggest.

BIMAbhi_0-1648723856087.png

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 8 of 8
BIMAbhi
in reply to: BIMAbhi

Any one can help in this issue for mapping the IFC parameter in Navisworks quantification. I have shared the snap in my previous post.

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report