Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge NWF / NWD File

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bwinterscheidt
2879 Views, 6 Replies

Huge NWF / NWD File

I've just put together my first model with NW 2013, and am getting a HUGE file based on my experience with previous versions.  It has 5 appended models, newly exported from Revit 2011, total NWC file sizes of 25 MB, NWF of *88 MB*, and is giving me an NWD of 110 MB.  The NWF/NWC were NOT upgraded; they were created new/clean for NW2013.

For comparison, this same building, same 5 revit models, exported and appended several months ago for NW 2012, has NWC files of 23 MB, an NWF of only *2 MB* and has FAR more "stuff" in the model as far as clash detection, saved views, etc.  The resulting NWD was only 22 MB previously.

Any ideas on what to look into for causes of this bloat?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
alex_busov
in reply to: bwinterscheidt

Check for clash results saved in viewpoints. If there are thousands of them, it can the problem 

Message 3 of 7
bwinterscheidt
in reply to: alex_busov

Yes, I can confirm that it is the saved clash viewpoints.  Thanks.

My question now is, what has changed in the data saved for these from 2012 to 2013?

My 2012 file has 2-3 times as many saved clash viewpoints, and is 20% the size.

Message 4 of 7

Ah.  Answer: Navisworks 2013 automatically saves Hide/Required and Override Material for each clash viewpoint, regardless of Viewpoint Defaults settings.

Message 5 of 7
aedgar
in reply to: bwinterscheidt

I've had problems on several different navisworks 2013 installations since updatting to Service Pack 2.  With Service Pack 2 and viepoints saved through clash detective massively increase the file size.  For example an nwd that was 32MB without viewpoints grew to 225MB after saving out a couple hundred viewpoints.

This issue was resolved be uninstalling Service Pack 2.

I'm not sure if you're seeing the same issue but I figured it might help.

Message 6 of 7
bwinterscheidt
in reply to: aedgar

Service Pack 2 is installed.

I'm noticing that while I can manually clear the checkbox to save "Hide/Required" for the already-created clash viewpoints, the checkbox for "Override Material" forces itself back on between edits to the viewpoint.

I'll try uninstalling SP12 and see if that helps.

Message 7 of 7

Uninstalling SP2 allows me to uncheck the "Override Material" on the clash viewpoints, and brings my file size back down to 25MB.

By setting up a single "Clash View" viewpoint that *does* preserve these general overrides, I can still get the transparency/wireframe of the original clash views (with one extra click on the new view first). 

All I am missing is the colored highlight on the clash items, which can be obtained through the selection tree and information from the printed clash reports.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report