Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Timeliner to 3DS Max

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
julianboswell
4696 Views, 16 Replies

From Timeliner to 3DS Max

Is it possible to export a construction sequence to 3DS Max in order to render faster with better resolution.  Our clients are asking for 3DS quality videos, but takes too long to set-up manually in Max.

Thanks,

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
DarrenP
in reply to: julianboswell

i don't think you can export out animations from navisworks

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
julianboswell
in reply to: DarrenP

Doesn't make sense - clients want photorealism and we are still delivering cartoons. 

Message 4 of 17
dgorsman

It may not be photorealistic but Simulate *is* accurate technically - something media-centric animations lack.  If you want both realism and technical accuracy that requires a major investment in hardware, software, and training.  Thats usually beyond the scope of work for engineering companies that use Simulate, so in the rare cases its part of the client requirements it typically gets contracted out to a media production company.

Its also important to educate the clients on whats possible, whats needed to get the results they are looking for, and the costs and time involved.  Most client reps are not technical types but management who only know "Hey, that looks cool!  Lets do that!".

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 17

I agree with dgorsman, Timeliner simulation is different from a normal animation. It uses the project schedule either in MS project, primavera or Excel format to link with the 3D model on the project which then simulates the construction based on the schedule in the linked project file. The Simulation seen in the Timeliner is accurate to the scheduled start and end dates as per the linked scheduled file.

On the other hand 3DsMax is not a simulation software. It can only animate the model. 3DsMax cannot link any project files and perform the construction simulation based on a scheduled time frames.

In case the client is insisting on a 3DsMax animation then the only option we have is to bring the project to Max and prepare the animation completely in Max. the timeliner sequences cannot be exported to 3DsMax.

Niranjan Kamath

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 17
jotaylor

There was a class at AU where a company did just this with a script accessing the API.

The class was called "BIM and Gaming Engines: How We Present 4D Models Using Our Design Suite and Gaming Engines"

When the classes go up, take a look at the notes.

We have had similar requests, and are looking at implementing this work-around.

Message 7 of 17
jhiggen

We also have a request for high quality movies of timlinier animations. What was helpful is to install a new videocodec (xvid for example good and for free). When using the presenter renderer the result has quite good quality from my point of view. What is missing here is multi core rendering functionality because movies of 120sec take days to be ready. Does anybody know if one can replace the presenter render engine by a better one that allows multi core calculations?  

Message 8 of 17
subpartner

This can be done, but it requires an HTML script from navis and an import script from max. It was shown at AU and just recently at RTC australia by Nicolas Broadbent from COX architects in Melborne. H e hasn't shared these scripts with autodesk or anyone to my knowledge, so its up to the users to request this feature on future releases.
Message 9 of 17
tbstlimited

Does anyone know if the scripts have been released at all? I use Navisworks to produce time-realistic construction sequences but rendering takes a lifetime and the quality of the videos are poor. I'd like to link the timeliner to 3ds max like the guy does in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_pn63MmNGg

Thanks

Message 10 of 17
blairous
in reply to: tbstlimited

Anything further on this? would love to be able to set the timeliner in Navis and export for rendering in 3DS.

Message 11 of 17
tbstlimited

I'm afraid not, as said above it has been shown a couple of times and I have seen a few video's where people are using the script, but nothing has been released...

Message 12 of 17
Logos_Atum
in reply to: blairous

Hello there, beeen looking for the very same script or at least a hint on how it´s done too.

I managed to find the AU Class 2011 Handout but it´s not specific. AB5801 if this helps....

I tried to contact Mr Broadbent- no answer so far. I used: Nicholas.Broadbent@hotmail.com

Even if he does not give away the scripts for free, a how-to should include the "how" part 😉

I opened a thread in AUGI. Perhaps there´s a recording of the class to be found somewhere.

Kind regards

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 13 of 17
rgilbim
in reply to: Logos_Atum

I Also looked everywhere even contacted some of the private people that have done it. But no luck. Not even for purchase. Im sure it would take Autodesk nothing to build this in. Ugh! 😕 I also requested it under features. 

Message 14 of 17
klaasnienhuis
in reply to: rgilbim

Anyone interested in bringing over the timeliner task simulation from Navisworks to 3dsMax should take a look at this tool: http://3dstudio.nl/webshop/product/69-navisworks-timeliner-to-3ds-max. It enables you to really enhance the visual quality of the simulation with everything that's possible within 3dsMax. This video overview gives you a good idea what's possible: https://youtu.be/6R6SgeZoaj4 full disclosure: I've written the tool. Best, Klaas
Message 15 of 17
J450NP13

Good job,  I will have my co-workers check this out.

Message 16 of 17
Logos_Atum
in reply to: klaasnienhuis

Thanks a lot!
Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 17 of 17
nick
in reply to: blairous

Hi Julian boswell and Blairous,
I'm nick broadbent I did the talk at AU on BIM and Gaming Engines .
What are you trying to do in Unity?
Can you send me any samples or examples of what your trying to achieve?
I would be happy to help you out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report