Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom Install...only

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
thebearjed
1462 Views, 8 Replies

Freedom Install...only

why is there not a stand alone install of Freedom to download anymore. all i get is complaints from clients whom i tell to download Freedom to view Navisworks files. they don't want (or need) to go through the pain and time it takes to finally get and start using the free version of the product.

these are upper management types and have very busy schedules not to mention they are not very net or computer savy.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: thebearjed

Freedom installer is still there, so is the SP.  We still have some clients who use older versions of Review or Simulate to view NWD files, so we use Simulate to downsave published NWD files for them until they get up to speed.

Don't sweat the clients - they should be complaining to their own IT department to get the software they need.  Upgrades are a fact of life, simple as that.  At some point your responsibilities have to end, especially if you aren't being paid to do tech support for them.

For our internal supervisors, the fact I can build a separate deployment for Freedom (yay!) makes things even easier.  I can sit at their desk and start it, or send them a link and away they go.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 9
Chris.Aquino

The installer for Freedom can be downloaded from this link.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 4 of 9
thebearjed
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Thanks Chris.

wait a tick...this is the same old 600+ MB download. is there anywhere to download just Freedom Viewer?

Message 5 of 9

No, those days are gone.

just as the "no-need-to-install-just-dubbelclick-ot-run" freedom.exe file from version 5.0

Due to migration to .net and visual whatever programming language,

an installed Freedom is about 150MB, including End-user agreements in 16 languages, Runtimes of whatever Microsoft patch is needed an dlanguage packs

The only thing you can do to make it easyer for people in your company is use the "Create Deployment" wizard of Simulate to create your own deployment that contains only a Freedom and answers all the questions of the installation wizard beforehand.

Message 6 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

Freedom 2013 can build its own deployment.  Made my day, even with the selection tree bug (later patched with SP1).

Message 7 of 9
thebearjed
in reply to: dgorsman

do tell, how do you acomplish this?

Message 8 of 9
dgorsman

What, creating a deployment?  Its really pretty easy.  First you need a common network location everybody has read access to; you'll need full rights.  Its also a good idea to throw some version-specific folders in there for other releases, plus SPs, hotfixes, etc.

Run the installer as normal.  At the initial dialog it will give options to install or create a deployment - pick the latter.  It will go through a few basic options, like where you want to create it (point it at your network folder).  For the most part you can just take the defaults but if the installer doesn't include the SP, I would recommend pointing the deployement to the provided one(s) so they are automatically added.  There should also be an option to do it as a silent install, which is a good idea if you are only going to provide links to users.

Once the deployement is created, it has a short cut you can link to from anywhere on the system.

Message 9 of 9
thebearjed
in reply to: dgorsman

ah, ok...thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report