Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling 3D stereo mode???

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
pkhrist
3167 Views, 10 Replies

Enabling 3D stereo mode???

The enable stereo mode within Navisworks is greyed out (unavailable). I have exhausted all of the limited resouces I have been able to locate online regarding the matter, and tried every combination of settings that have been suggested.

I have tried it on two different machines with professional OpenGL graphics card with Quad Buffer stereo support, explicitly enabled stereo within the graphics card drivers, lowered resolution and color setting on monitors, as well as many others tips and suggestions I have found.

Nothing seems to work. It also seems that there is very limited and often conflicting information on this subject. Can anyone who has been successful at enabling this function please let me know what combination of hardware and settings will allow for stereo mode to be enabled.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
DarrenP
in reply to: pkhrist

i have never actually seen this work with navisworks

it would be good to know if this feature does actually work

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
pkhrist
in reply to: DarrenP

DarrenP,

I saw where you gave this reply to a similiar inquiry...

"ck View tab > Stereo panel > Enable Stereo .
Note This option is only available if you have the required hardware, and the correct driver and display settings."

And I have seen many other similiar responses referring to "correct driver and display settings"...

Do you know where this information is specified. I can't find it anywhere.
Message 4 of 11
DarrenP

here: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Navisworks/enu/2014/Help/0035-User_Gui35/0186-Control_186/0205-Control_...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
pkhrist
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks for the link but I was already familiar with that section of the User's guide. Would you happen to know specifically what is meant by
"Stereo rendering in Autodesk graphic system is supported when the Autodesk (OpenGL) driver is used.

Are you aware of such a driver?
Message 6 of 11
dgorsman

Try checking under Options to see if the correct system selected.  I'm not aware of specifically which driver is required, but you need some *very* extreme hardware specs to pull this off sucessfully e.g. this is where those $ 8-10K video cards are needed.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 11
pkhrist
in reply to: dgorsman

I have tried with a Nvidia fx5600 and a Nvidia k300m. As far as I know those are both "professional OpenGL graphics card with Quad Buffer stereo support," which is what I have seen described as the graphics requirement by several different resources including the User guide: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Navisworks/enu/2014/Help/0035-User_Gui35/0186-Control_186/0205-Control_...

and a blog specifially on this topic: http://beyonddesign.typepad.com/posts/2011/12/3d-stereo-viewing-in-navisworks.html

This is the first I have heard of an extreme  $ 8-10K video card being required. Are you aware of a list of supported cards?

Message 8 of 11
dgorsman

We all know the story - there's "supported" and then there's "performance with real world models".  I'm not certain a 5600 is applicable, I can't find a direct comparison with my normal benchmarks e.g. Quadro 5000 (which *directly* lists "NVIDIA 3D Vision®Pro" in the specs).

Have you checked the other settings you pointed to the in the wiki/blog, about reducing resolution, color, etc. to see if that will allow the Options settings in Navisworks to enable the stereo viewing?

Edit: maybe check instructions at botttom of this page:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_pro_graphics_boards.html

If you don't have a 3D-capable display, it might be detected as such and all 3D settings disabled.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 11
khs_layout
in reply to: dgorsman

Hello for all,

Does anyone know if Navisworks Freedom 2016 (or 2013, 2014) works with 3D Stereo? Or it`s only available at Full Version?

Thanks,

Paulo Muratani

Message 10 of 11
leonardobozi
in reply to: khs_layout

I tried to enable stereo mode in Navisworks Freedom 2016 in many workstations with a professional OpenGL graphics card with Quad Buffer stereo support but no success. I think this feature just doesn't work. I didn't test in the Full Version.

Message 11 of 11

In Naviworks 2019, I had to untick the direct X graphics drives in the options menu, leaving just the open GL drivers avalible in order to get the stereo option to work. I'm using an AMD W8100 graphics card with quad buffer stereo enabled.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report