Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efficient point cloud navisworks file.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
nal81
1204 Views, 2 Replies

Efficient point cloud navisworks file.

I am modelling pipework in plant 3D for a brownfields project and have had laser scanning completed. The surveyors have provided a pcg file and a nwd file of the scan.

I have attched the pcg file to autocad to aid my modelling and I also need to provide a navisworks file so that my engineer can review my progress. To do this I used the nwd file provided by the surveyor and appended the dwg file the end result was an nwf file that will be updated every time it is opened or refreshed which is exactly what I want. The navisworks file of the scan data itself opens almost immediately. The problem that I am having is everytime the dwg file is reloaded or navisworks restarted the pointcloud data attached to the dwg is converted.

I have tried the following methods to try and avoid the unnecessary point cloud conversion.

1 Saving the dwg with the pointcloud data file reference unloaded.

2 Detaching the scan data from the dwg file and saved it the opening the nwf file which opens immediately (not ideal as I would like the pointcloud to be attached to the dwg at all times).

3 Attaching the pointcloud to a new drawing and referencing it into the dwg file as an overlay (this did not achieve a different outcome and was just like being attached directly to the drawing i.e. converting point cloud data once file is opened.)

Is there better methods of getting what I want i.e. A refreshable .nwf file while having the pointcloud permanently attached to the dwg file.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Nathan

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: nal81

In navisworks options
File readers -> DWG
Turn convert reverences OFF

Detach the DWG and re-attach it
the pointclould should not be loaded twice.
Message 3 of 3
nal81
in reply to: nal81

Thanks very much that worked a treat.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report