Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete or remove models and geometries

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
simonsson
25276 Views, 12 Replies

Delete or remove models and geometries

Is it possible to delete parts (models/geometries) of a Navisworks model? The option "Delete" is enabled for files, but what if I'm working with a published nwd-model. Can I delete "First Object"-items?

I would also like to know if it is possible to delete a singel part in an assembly. If I append an IAM from Inventor I see that I can move a single part in the assembly, but can I delete or remove it in any way? This would be like deleting a "Last Object"-item.

So, if I open a NWD-file. Can I delete or remove anything from it?

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
kiel.sinfuego
in reply to: simonsson

Once published you cannot delete parts of the model, but you can hide them or do sections.

I think its possible to make the append as a work around but you need to hide the assembly first in the original nwd then append the file.
Message 3 of 13
simonsson

Ok, thanks!

I guess it's designed in the way that model changes are supposed to be done in the respective cad product. And then you only move, rotate etc. in Navisworks.
Message 4 of 13
adnhmz

Hello, So why this option is not available /deleting and editing items and objects / in this program ? I am a quantity surveyor I have a huge project file /about 780 MB/ and I cannot handle this file in my 4G Ram i5 cpu PC ..so what can I do?

1- can I edit this file in Revit 2018 ? or any other program .

2- can I use such code or lisps to edit or delete items .and where can I find them?

thank you in advance.

Adnan

Message 5 of 13
adnhmz

İn other hand i want to extract the Quantification data from my file but i facing an error message saying this: that there is no quantity data included with file. GUIDs missing. how can I solve this please ?

Note : I have not the original file that exported to Naviswork. just I have the naviswork .nwd file.

thank you very much

Adnan H.

Tags (3)
Message 6 of 13
a_meteni
in reply to: adnhmz

Navisworks is a design review tool. So, editing is restricted to simple temporary "overrides" of item's properties, so that they can always be reset to the original state they were in when firstly imported from the native design file.

1- you cannot edit NWD files in Revit or any other program.

2- NWD files are provided with enhanced security features to prevent exporting or translating into another file format.

Message 7 of 13
adnhmz
in reply to: a_meteni

Thanks for replay sir.. this is very bad news for me 🙂

I am hoping there is some way for do this.

My job is very hard .

Message 8 of 13
a_meteni

Sure I would be so hard. 780MB for an NWD file is waaaaaay too much 🙂
Message 9 of 13
Patrick_Aps_9121

The solution is very simple.

There must be somebody who created this NWD. Normally he would use an NWF for doing that.

Ask him to create a copy of that NWF, delete the models that you do not need in that NWF, save the NWF and then create another NWD based on that NWF.

That other NWD should only contain the files you need, and thus be smaller.

Message 10 of 13
adnhmz
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

Thank you Mr Patrick for your replay . I got you well but unfortunately at least for this period,  my chance to contact with the designer is very low. I am trying to contact but it is very hard. so I have to solve this with available tools. I know the designer have the Revit file . 

But it was very logic if Autodesk added (delete) option to  its final version of Naviswork.. I couldn't find logically any reason to not add this option. 

in other hand on the file I can measure the distance for the items but no volume and area !!! why ?!!! I didn't also find logical reasons for these ..

I hope these articles will be as suggestions to the development team.

Thank you very much again.

Message 11 of 13
dgorsman

@adnhmz wrote:

Thank you Mr Patrick for your replay . I got you well but unfortunately at least for this period,  my chance to contact with the designer is very low. I am trying to contact but it is very hard. so I have to solve this with available tools. I know the designer have the Revit file . 

But it was very logic if Autodesk added (delete) option to  its final version of Naviswork.. I couldn't find logically any reason to not add this option. 

in other hand on the file I can measure the distance for the items but no volume and area !!! why ?!!! I didn't also find logical reasons for these ..

I hope these articles will be as suggestions to the development team.

Thank you very much again.

If parts of the models could be deleted, it would no longer be accurate; any estimates taken from the model would not be accurate.

Area can be measured, just as distance.  Volume cannot be extrapolated accurately, since Navisworks "skins" the source models as part of the loading process.  Curves become planes, according to the load settings so the volume could differ.  As many objects will not be converted to a closed surface getting a volume isn't possible.  In most cases, volume should be a data property of the object rather than a physically derived value.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 12 of 13
jisson1992
in reply to: a_meteni

lol, I work with 2.5 GB Naviswork file, sometimes go upto 9.5 GB. every time I run out of memory even though I have 8GB Memory. Supressing & deleting is disabled by administrator I believe. I wonder How do I get rid of this issue 

Message 13 of 13
jhillKZFDU

You can't remove geometry from NWD files but you can use the appearances profiler to make them partially or fully transparent. which is unaffected by the unhide all feature.     

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report