Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clash detection with selection sets

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Digitalis
823 Views, 3 Replies

Clash detection with selection sets

Hello,

I'm doing clash testing on a machine. The machine is imported as one STEP file, which has about 50 subgroups making up the main parts. Every main part in turn has about 1-30 subparts making up that part in particular.

What I want to do is to test the first level of parts (the main ones) against each other.

Testing the entire STEP file against itself yields hundreds of clashes, where most of them are self intersecting within one main part. I've created selection sets for every main part, but testing all sets against all sets means that every set will test against itself and thus include internal clashes.

Testing one set against all others work, but that means 50 tests.

A rule similar to "ignore clashes in same selection set" would be great, but the only rule that comes close is "items which are both in selection set '<set>'", where <set> has to be specified to one particular set, meaning I would have to create one rule for each selection set, i.e. 50.

Is there any good solution to this problem?

Thanks.. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dennis
in reply to: Digitalis

It sounds like you are checking "Self Intersect" on the Select tab of the Clash Detective.  Uncheck the box "Self-Intersect" and the selected SS will not clash itself.

Message 3 of 4
Digitalis

Both boxes are unchecked, I'm afraid.

Message 4 of 4
dennis

Ok, good.  Clears that question. 

I suspect you will be having to do the 50 or so batches.  Nice thing though, set the batch jobs up just one time, maintain the NWF, and you won't have to re-create with any changes and updates to the models.  There are other tools too, like the Batch Utility that can help you to automate the process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report