Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain how "OR Condition" works in Navisworks Search sets?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
eric.anastas
2251 Views, 4 Replies

Can someone explain how "OR Condition" works in Navisworks Search sets?

I'm trying to understand how setting a condtion of a Navisworks search set to an "OR" Condition works. Specificaly how the conditions are evaluated and in what order. I understand that if no conditions are set to OR conditions then elements must pass all conditions to pass the search set. Likewise if all conditions (except the top) are set as OR conditions then elements will pass the search if they meet any of the conditions.

For example the search below.

Property1=A
Property2=B

Property3=C

Would select objects where Property1=A AND Property2=B and Property3=C. While this search:

Property1=A
+Property2=B
+Property3=C

Would select objects which meet at least one of the three conditions.

But I want to create a selection that is more complex. For example say I want to select all objcts where Property1=A and Property2 = B or C.

(Property1=A) AND (Property2=B OR Property2=C)

Is this possible, and if so how would I construct a search set like this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I was wondering about this too. I think the real problem is the lack of parenthesis in the search logic. That said, maybe they leave that out to keep things from getting too complicated and programmer-like.

Message 3 of 5
aireq
in reply to: eric.anastas

I figured it out. Consecutive ADD conditions are combined, and split by any OR condition. So to create complex searches you end up having to repeat conditions. So to do something like this

(Property1=A) AND (Property2=B OR Property2=C)

You have to think of it like this:

(Property1=A AND Property2=B) OR (Property1=A AND Property2=C)

Which can be written in Navisworks like this.

Property1=A

Property2=B

+Property1=A

Property2=C

This can be a real pain if you have a lot of conditions. On the project I'm doing this on I ended up manualy copy and pasting elements in an exported SearchSets XML file to create all the conditions.

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: aireq

The conditions builder is definitely a weak point.  I wouldn't mind seeing it more like the various SQL expression builder windows out there.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
Arjan.Peeters
in reply to: dgorsman

You could build all the [AND] searchsets seperately and later selecting multiple searchsets at once automaticaly build the [OR] conditions in.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report