Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Base Viewpoint for clash detection

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
lavrden23
1245 Views, 6 Replies

Base Viewpoint for clash detection

Hello everybody,

I've updated to navis 2014. When I'm running clashes for some reason they all have upside-down view that they start with. For example - if I get ungrouped new clash after I click "Run", then I click on it and navis showing me this clash in orthographic instead of perspective view, and its all in  upside-down plan view. See file attached with what I'm getting when I click on new clash. (FYI, I had all view settings correct before I ran clash detection). I used to have it going into normal view as a default before I do anything (see second pic). Please let me know which settings I need to change in order to adjust my base viewpoint for new clashes.

I used to have in 2013 all clashes would start with default angle and distance, and after that I would twist it however I need.  I have thousands of clashes an if they all going to be upside-down and in orthographic - it will take me forever to group them.

Please help me. See screenshot attached.

Thank you

Dennis

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
matt.vanture
in reply to: lavrden23

I have seen the program default to an orthographic view for clash detection results if you have your home view set to an orthographic view.

Good luck

Message 3 of 7
RobertAGlover
in reply to: lavrden23

I'm having this same issue with a BIM360 based workflow using legacy Glue and Navisworks Manage. All of our new clashes are showing up with this exact same up-side down orthographic side view. Even when we start a new file and bring in the same models, we get the same views. When we start a new file with different models we don't have the issue. Could it be an error in one of the models? Any information and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Glover
VDC Manager
Message 4 of 7

Update: we have narrowed the issue down and believe it to be related to a corrupt file. We created new federated models by floor, and only the lowest level had this issue. Even so this continues to be an issue with our project and we are working around it by updating clash views as we need to as well as informing the project team of the issue.

I did received a response from Autodesk development:

"I hope all is well, I got word back from the development team there are heuristics in Navisworks to move the camera to give the user a good view of the clashing objects - this is based on things like the objects' relative locations, their relative sizes etc.

"Base on how the element is position, the client can move the viewpoint and they will be able to save that view to the clash detection. 

"Eric Zhang
"Autodesk Inc."

This is copy and paste verbatim the response I got (I added the quotes of course). I won't go into my entire diatribe that i retorted, but suffice to say I was not satisfied with this response. Be that as it may, this is the "best" answer I've gotten from Autodesk and I wanted to share it with anyone else who may experience this same bug.

Robert Glover
VDC Manager
Message 5 of 7

Out of curiosity what version of Navisworks are you running? We have had similar issues, but it would just be one ot two clashes, not an entire test or model.

Not sure why, seems like we had more issues with original Glue and Navisworks 2018.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Patrick Davis
Twitter
LinkedIn
Blog
Message 6 of 7

All models are saved on BIM360 and loaded into a federated model using BIM360 Glue. The federated model is then worked with via Navisworks Manage 2019 as we use Flypaper tools to help automate clash batching and hot-spot detection. The issue was fine for a good portion of the lower level coordination then started showing up on new clash views. We were able to recreate the issue on different machines using the same files, and even using the same models in a new federated model. The issue only persisted in the lower level federated model, and none of the upper layers have had the issue. This is why I suspect a corrupt file. 

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Robert Glover
VDC Manager
Message 7 of 7

Glad to know we aren't the only ones other than this random post from 5 years ago. Not that a lot has changed in Navisworks in that time. 😉
Robert Glover
VDC Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report