Navisworks General Discussion

Valued Mentor
granite07
Message 1 of 5 (322 Views)
Accepted Solution

line after break function, in C3D still one line

322 Views, 4 Replies
07-24-2012 12:19 PM

In C3D 2013 I broke a line into three segments, after NWCOUT and opened in Navisworks 2013, the line is again a single line. The line was originally imported from a dgn file. The line is also bundled with several other lines (pipe edge and centerline). In Navisworks they are a 'Line Set'. The common feature is that these four lines are in the same layer.

Is this normal - is there an easy solition, a checkbox in navisworks for 'recognize breaks'? Can a line set be broken? How do I change the type from line set in C3D to line or similar type?

I split a project into 'workzones' by drawing rectangular boxes and breaking lines that crossed workzones. The purpose is to sequence the work in 4D.

Do I have to break each layer into multiple layers, one layer for each workzone? This cannot be right.

Forest Peterson, granite@stanford.edu; build-sheet
Employee
JeffH_ADSK
Message 2 of 5 (286 Views)

Re: line after break function, in C3D still one line

08-16-2012 02:18 AM in reply to: granite07

Hi Forest,

To keep lines split, there is a global option in the DWG file loader options. It should be a dropdown labelled Line Processing. Selecting Separate All Lines should prevent lines from being merged into Line Sets & become selectable entities in their own right. Please be aware that for large models this can cause the file load to be much slower and/or memory intensive as this option results in a new Selection Tree node for every single line (which is why we usually merge them together).

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Valued Mentor
granite07
Message 3 of 5 (253 Views)

09-05-2012 11:49 AM in reply to: JeffH_ADSK

Jeff - what does the as provided optio do compared to seprate all lines.

I want the line breaks where I placed them in C3D - does "seprate all lines" explode the lines?

Valued Mentor
granite07
Message 4 of 5 (246 Views)

09-06-2012 09:29 AM in reply to: granite07

I have not tried the "seperate all lines" option, the "as provided" option seems to have worked

Also, I use two computers, and Ivy Bridge quad core 3.6Ghz turbo and an AMD Phenom II 3.6Ghz, comparable RAM and SSD - sometime one works better than the other. In this case the ivy bridge could not build the file with the "as provided" option but the AMD Phenom II did without a problem.

Valued Mentor
granite07
Message 5 of 5 (177 Views)

10-03-2012 03:55 PM in reply to: granite07

searched for why my ivybridge was taking forever to build a navis file from C3D dwg file -> found my own answer from last month... try my AMD workstation.

note to self, buy new memory :smileyhappy:

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Have API Questions?
New Dedicated Forum for Navisworks API

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community