Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Udating Navisworks Model

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
austin.worley
491 Views, 5 Replies

Udating Navisworks Model

Howdy!,

I'm working on an Offshore Industrial Project, originally modeled in PDMS and distributed weekly as an NWD.  I'd like to set the project up as an NWF and update and review changes weekly; however, I do not have access from the NWD to the NWC files to update an NWF.

So basically my question is, can I update an NWF project and review changes with only NWD files, and how?

Thanks,

Austin

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: austin.worley

If I'm reading that right (and I'm not certain I am), you can merge/append NWD files into NWFs just like all the other file types.  For example, we've had NWFs with DWGs, IGES equipment models, and point clouds published in NWD format.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 6
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: dgorsman

Or, you can use Simulate and Manage to open one NWD, make review TAGs and SAVE the NWD, just like you would open a DWG with AutoCAD, draw something and save.
Getting the TAGs from one NWD to the one of next week then can be done with export ViewPoints XML and imort viewpoints XML.
Message 4 of 6
austin.worley
in reply to: dgorsman

Dgorsman,

Thank you for your reply!  I have tried the merging option, and appending, however when I do either all the geometry gets duplicated.  I even went to >Global Options>Model>Performance and Unchecked Merge Duplicates

Message 5 of 6

I think I can guess why: Do your NWD models of this week and that of the past week have different file names ? Well, they shouldn't.
The way it should work is as follows: You have an NWF with several models (DWG, NWD or whatever) attached. When people continue drawing in the models (but without changing the filename) you will automatically see the latest changes when you open your NWF.

In order to do so with NWD files, you should always rename the NWD you get to something like "Current.NWD". When you get an update, you should overwrite the "current.NWD" with the latest version. After that, when you open the NWF again, the latest version will be displayed.

And if that NWD is the only one attached, you will only see the geometry once.

Message 6 of 6
smbrennan
in reply to: austin.worley

I work with a similar workflow on a regular basis. While dealing with in-house coordination, I don't care about NWC files. I simply merge all of my DWG files into Navisworks. Or, in your case, you would merge all of your NWDs.  Save the set as an NWF. 

Once updated drawings come in, make sure the NWF file is closed by EVERYONE. Then, overrite the old files with the new ones that have been received (make sure they have the same name as the ones originally referenced). Make sure to back up the old files somehow for record. Next, open Navisworks. You should be able to open and see all of the updates. 

There are some downsides, such as a clash status within a clash set. Those don't seem to carry through.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report