Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selection Set xml export and import NavisWorks Manage 2009 and 2010

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
PCahill
12274 Views, 17 Replies

Selection Set xml export and import NavisWorks Manage 2009 and 2010

I have a model with a number of selection sets defined, using a folder hierarchy and sets inside the folders. No search sets are defined.
When you export out the resultant xml file only carries the names of the folders, not the sets in the folders or the objects in the sets. This makes it useless for re-using the selection sets on incremental nwd files (there is no direct access to the native CAD files so not using nwf format). It also makes the xml file essentially meaningless. This seems like a bug, as the intent described in the manual is to definitely get all of the objects and the selection set hierarchy out as an reusable xml file.

I've attached a sample file. Each of those folders has anywhere from 2 to 10 selection sets in them, as well as many parts in each set.
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
tim.wiegand
in reply to: PCahill

XML import/export is only supported for search sets. A selection set refers to specific objects in a specific file, so can't be meaningfully reused against a different file.

The best way of handling your scenario is to make an NWF that includes the NWD that is being incrementally updated. Then save your selection sets, etc. in the NWF.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 3 of 18
dderoeck

Okay, this is my fastest way to create Selection sets in XML.

Analyze a XML and you will find a repetitive structure, so,

I started an excel file with following cells:

unitsSearchNamemodedisjointtestflagsname2internalSearchCriteriatypelocatorProject

Fill in this list with your Excel skills...

SearchName, Name2, internal and Search Criteria are for me changeable, the rest is fix.

Once this list is made, import it as a table in Access.

Make a report in Access that creates the XML layout.

Print the report as PDF file and copy the text to a text file, rename the txt to xml, import the xml in Navis Works. Done.

Since you have the possibility to work with cells and formulas in Excel (Concatination, Replace,...)

you can make very fast big listings of Search Sets.

Message 4 of 18
rnbhat

I do have a similar kind of problem,

I have a NWF file in which i have linked a NWC file placed in a folder named X(as per date).

i have created selection sets in this NWF file now i have a new version of NWC file and need to link it its in a different folder with name Y(as per date) how can i relink the pat to this location keeping the selection sets intact. (I do not have any Search sets available) 

any help is appreciated.

regards,

Raghavendra Bhat

Regards,
Raghavendra Bhat
rnbhat1@gmail.com
Message 5 of 18
dderoeck
in reply to: rnbhat

I think this is more a link problem than a Selection Set problem.

The links in Navisworks are absolute.

To make those relative I have made a special procedure to clear that out.

1. Put the linked document on a place on your PC or Network and make a shortcut of the docs in the same folder as your NW doc.

2. put the the script (Rename ShortcutsDescriptions) here in attachment in the same folder of your Shortcuts and NW doc. (Change txt in vbs)

3. Execute the script (This will change the property of all the LNK files (The Shortcuts) )

4. Make the links in NW as follow: The URL name = The Link name (= The name of the shortcut and thus the name of the linked document.)

Using this way you can put your linked documents anyware and still have the connection between NW and the docs.

Message 6 of 18
ccookwhr

I have search sets (binocular icon) in Navis 2011, and they will not export together.  I can export individual, current search sets.

The Export Search Sets process gives me only the folder lists, and not the actual searches, similar to the original post above.  The Export Current Search gives the whole search XML.

Any tips or clues?

Message 7 of 18
ccookwhr
in reply to: ccookwhr

A little more information.  I found some search sets someone made available on AUGI.  That XML file imports and exports from Navis correctly.  My search sets are based on individual nwc files in the nwf.  Would this be the problem?  I have tried importing one of my individual search sets that I was able to export, and it does import the conditions, but, logically, I have to select the nwc files to search under and save the search set.  Perhaps this is why exporting and importing the all search sets is not working since each search has to be customized.

Please confirm or clarify my situation.

thanks!

Message 8 of 18
tstorzuk

I know that this is quite old, but I want to automate creating a lot of selection sets for a Navisworks file (basically a line list to import). But I'm not sure that the previous posts use the same version of Navisworks as what I'm running. So the columns suggested don't match what I have. Here's an example of a selection set that I exported to XML;

- <selectionset name="20-100-AC-BFW-1001" guid="4a8cd228-7507-437e-b89e-52003a16f726">
<findspec mode="all" disjoint="0">
<conditions>
<condition test="contains" flags="10">
<property>
<name internal="LcOaSceneBaseUserName">Name</name> 
</property>
<value>
<data type="wstring">20-100-AC-BFW-1001</data> 
</value>
</condition>
</conditions>
<locator>/</locator> 
</findspec>
</selectionset>

So how do these terms relate to the terms that were explained on the previous post;

units SearchName mode disjoint test flags name2 internal SearchCriteria type locator

Project

Message 9 of 18
Kurtnaviswork
in reply to: tim.wiegand

First I was working with Navisworkd Freedom, then I used a Trial version of Navisworks Manage, where I was able to save search sets using just the built-in save icon. Afterwards I bought a licenced Naviswork Simulate 2014 version. I was able to import as well as export search sets during the first 2 to 3 weeks without any problem. After this time, exporting search sets was not anymore possible, only the header was exported.

For me, this looks like a problem of the software. I reinstalled the programm again but this did not help.

How can I solve this problem?

Message 10 of 18
Sachin_Nakkarike

Is there a commnd line to import search sets and also the appearance profile .dat file?

I am currently using both Navisworks Simulate 2014 and also Navisworks Simulate 2012.

Thanks in advance 

Regards

Sachin Nakkarike

Message 11 of 18
phikhanguyen

I have an issue with the exporting the selection set from Naviswork to xml file. All have the same content as following.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<exchange filepath="" filename="" units="ft" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://download.autodesk.com/us/navisworks/schemas/nw-exchange-11.0.xsd" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

when i open the page: http://download.autodesk.com/us/navisworks/schemas/nw-exchange-11.0.xsd appearing an error 404 as per the screenshot below.

error.JPG

Are there any reason for this error? please help.

Message 12 of 18

Probably this one: As all software providers, Autodesk does not support each program forerver. With the release of Navisworks 2015, the support for version 2011 and older stopped. Versions 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 are now supported.

Message 13 of 18

Actually, i'm using Version 2014.
Message 14 of 18
dgorsman
in reply to: phikhanguyen

Thats just a namespace qualifier for the XSD schema.  It doesn't have to point to a valid web page, and isn't usually intended as such - just something to avoid duplication.  I use similar qualifiers in my own XSD schemas.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 15 of 18
phikhanguyen
in reply to: dgorsman

My PC has already had nw-exchange-11.0.xsd in the Schemas folder see below.

error2.JPG

Do we need any special plug in or add in for the exporting to xml work? thanks

Message 16 of 18

Dear sir,

i am trying to open the vue file in the navisworks, during importing i found that weld joint details under "welding"is not appearing.

Where as if i isolate XML file with the VUE file, then all weld geometries are visible. But if i open only vue file without xmle, then no 

details of pipe or components are visible..

how to open the vue file with weld joint details

help me

regards

konathala

Message 17 of 18
jifeng-qiu
in reply to: konathalaraja

Make sure you have uncheck the Hide Weld Option.Weld.png

Message 18 of 18
witharttb
in reply to: jifeng-qiu

Guys, I've solved this problem using Python. If someone still needs to generate an amount of XML Selections set, write me. I'll try to help.

It is really useful, for example, if you have cable schedule and routing in an Excel file to easily import those cable routed trays.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report