Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quantification

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
duchoabn
1762 Views, 8 Replies

Quantification

Dear ALL

I'm new in navisworks, and I studying to quantification in navisworks 2014

Pl guide me to study quantification in navisworks, and guide me fix error below

navis 2.jpg

THANK ADVANCED

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
kenny.deemer
in reply to: duchoabn

Try going one level deeper in the selection tree. It seems to be picky on what actual objece/element is quantifiable.

The best solution is to get 2015 version, a few key updates mke the process much better.You can drag and drop the entire model tree to the items window effecively takig off the entire project. You also will have better controlof the item maps without the need of modifying the xml files.

Message 3 of 9

Thanks Kenny - you are of course correct. In 2014 you needed to select individual objects (or multiples) but couldn't select a parent in the selection tree and use this for takeoff. In 2015 we have enhanced the workflow so you can do this and make takeoff quicker. Hope this helps!

Thomas Schwaiger
Product Manager
Autodesk

Message 4 of 9
kenny.deemer

I think I got this thing cracked.

Three things make this thing hum.

Search Sets (argualbly this list could be Search Sets, Search Sets, and Search Sets)

Understanding Item mapping options

The exported pivot table

If you just want an automated model takeoff reminiscent of QTO your best bet is to export a 3DWF and then drag and drop the entire model to the takeoff pane. Then let the exel pivot table do the heavy lifting. However a DWF does notbring forward rich model data. If your designer added custom parameters that could better define your takeoff, your out of luck with a DWF.

If you want to spend a little more time, got the NWC route and set up your search sets to mimic the DWF Selection Tree. Once you have this start your item catalog. 99% of the info you need is housed in the "Element" and "Revit Type" Tabs. I've set up Description 1 to always map to the Revit Type "Name" (Helps with Pivot Table Sorting". Description 2 I reserver for descriptive markers "Type Mark", 'Custom Parameter", etc. The trick is Do Not be afraid to do multiple takeoff experimets with your item mappings. Takeoff, change a mapping, save, delete the takeoff, re-takeoff. It's not a problem since its all automatic.

Pivot Table - Who ever programmed this I'd like to hug them! I don't  think it is necessary to have an elaborate item catalog with hundreds of items. The pivot table will do the work for you (pivot tables will set you free) Also the resource catalog may be a tad useless, I think you should build assemblies in your estimating system (opinion) However, if you could map items with the resource catalog this could be a library of various generic items pre-mapped. For example "Architect X - Walls by type"

Another Tip would be "Forget everything you new about QTO" it will only frustrate you. It's like moving from CAD to Revit, it just wants to be treated differently.

Overall I'm on the train, I was a longtime and maybe one of the first QTO users and was sad to see it go, but I'm excited about the future of this.

Colored 2D sheets please! I still need to print these for people. ( I think I can do this with search set visibilty setting still experimenting)

Message 5 of 9

Hi Kenny
thanks for your tips and feedback. I'm happy to share that with the team - it'll make their day!
The idea behind resources IS that they are used by items - is that what you mean by map items with resource catalog?
As for colored 2D sheets - have you tried applying quantification appearance? This should make sure the colors as defined in the item catalog are applied to the canvas.
Thomas Schwaiger
Product Manager
Autodesk

Message 6 of 9
kenny.deemer

That was it! Reapply Quantification Appearace worked. I just hadn't gotten to that button yet.  Selecting that is like refreshing the drawing, it doesn't happen automatically after the initial takeoff.

So I decided to see where the edge of the envelope was at with this thng. I ran Category based search sets from the NWC's and then did a drag and drop takeoff to one catalog item, and then went hoem for the weeked. Monday AM I had 137000+ objects taken off. Apparently it worked.  I need to kick it out to excel tonight, but I was a tad bit impressed. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I think this is a game changer.

CAMPUS.PNG

Message 7 of 9
kenny.deemer
in reply to: kenny.deemer

Update:

If your goal is strictly quantification I've found if you do not split your model in to levels with the Navis exporter, your life will become infinitely better. You will get a category based selection tree that makes for a tidy drag and drop takeoff, just like DWF. The difference being all the Revit paramaters are preserved that you will be able to use for item mapping. I've also figured out you can use the model to create a pretty slick catalog. Do the drag and frop takeoff above, then delete all of your takeoffs, you are then left with all the descriptions and tree structure that you can modify as you see fit.

Message 8 of 9
adeshk112
in reply to: kenny.deemer

Hi Kenny..

I need a small help from you.

I have just started a ride with the Quantitifcation in NavisWorks.

I have a trapezoidal Footing modeled in Revit using its Default Family.

The Volume of this Footing is not shown in the Properties window of Revit.

So, I added a parameter to it (Text Type) and entered the Volume manually.

This same parameter is now seen in NavisWorks Properties Window when that Footing is selected.

I am unable to link this parameter to the Volume in the Formula Window.

I tried various options but dint work out.

Please help me.

Message 9 of 9
kenny.deemer
in reply to: adeshk112

Are you using 2014 or 2015? 2014 requires you to modify some XML coding. It is almost not worth it. 2015 should be anle
to do this very easily. Furthermore, you shouldn't have to make a custom parameter in revit for volume of a footing. If your length, width, height or thickness variables mapped I'd use a formula to calculate the volume in Navis.

Sent from my iPhone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report