Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks Simulate 2013 NWD Loading Problems

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
atgiacalone
890 Views, 3 Replies

Navisworks Simulate 2013 NWD Loading Problems

We have just installed Navisworks Simulate 2013 on (3) machines.  (2) of our computers have Navisworks Simulate 2013 installed from the Autodesk Building Design Suite disk and the other is installed from the Autodesk Navisworks Simulate 2013 disk. You are probably wondering why I would bother telling you where the installs came from, and I will explain below.

We have noticed that the same NWD file on the (2) computers where Simulate 2013 was installed from the Autodesk Building Design Suite disk, loads a lot slower then the computer that Simulate 2013 was installed from Autodesk Navisworks Simulate 2013 disk.  The (2) computers that Simulate 2013 was installed from the Autodesk Building Design Suite disk experience huge slow downs when appending in or just opening NWDs.  The (1) computer that was installed from the Autodesk Navisworks Simulate 2013 disk does not experience this slow down.  It doesn't make any sense that the same exact file to perform differently on the (2) computers installed from the Autodesk Building Design Suite disk vs the (1) computer installed from the Autodesk Navisworks Simulate 2013 disk.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

On both computers (Simulate disk or Building Desing), export the workspace to an XML

and export all the options (optons editor) to an XML.

Load the XML ont the other computer and see if the problem dissapears or moves to the other computer.

If so, it's somewhere in the Workspace or Options.

My guess is it's somewhere in the file or caching options.

Message 3 of 4

I have tried exporting the options from the working 2013 Simulate installed from the Simulate Disk, and importing the XML file into the 2013 Simulate installed from the Building Design Suite Disk with no difference loading times.  I will try the reverse to see if I get a difference on the 2013 Simulate installed from the Building Design Suite Disk. 

I have turned on the Logging and Enable Console option in the general tab (holding shift and clicking options) and attached the Navis Logs so you can see the difference in loading.  

The log shows that to open the same NWD on both installations, 2013 Simulate installed from the Simulate Disk took 0.702 seconds, while 2013 Simulate installed from the Building Design Suite Disk took 4.89 seconds to load.

It's really not that much longer, but the real lag comes in when refreshing, appending, or even deleting files from an NWF.

Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 4

If it's not the Navisworks options, it could be other things

1) network connection and speed

Is the NWD on a network drive ?

try to copy it first to a local drive an see if that makes difference.

Has the slow computer "unavailable" network connections if you ask NET USE in a cmd  -prompt window ?

Have both computers the same network speed and duplex ?

2) software security

are the DEP settings the same ?

have the end-user the same (adminitraro / power user / urer) rights on the machines ?

3) software dependencies

Look on the installation DVD of Simulate to see what prerequisite software is needed, like .net or whatever

check if those have the same version

4) hardware and drivers

same here: same hardware and same grapic card drivers ?

Good luck in finding the difference

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report