Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navis 2014 - Can't open file to write.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
TJR-Sundt
10302 Views, 10 Replies

Navis 2014 - Can't open file to write.

When I was working in Revit 2013 and Navis 2013 I was able to have my revit model open and my navis model open at the same time and then export from Revit to Navisworks.  Then I would just refresh my Navis file to show the newest changes.  This always worked without any issues.

Now that I am working in 2014 I am having the hardest time getting this to work.  I don't like having to shut down Navisworks every time I want to export my Revit Model to see my changes.  I have checked all the settings in my Navisworks setting (in revit) and made sure that my 2013 and 2014 settings are the same. I have also done this in Navisworks, made sure all the settings/options are the same.  Every time I export my revit model to Navis I get the attached image.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

navisworks can't save.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Just a hunch:  Check your Options

Model -> Performance -> On Load section

is "Close NWC/NWD files on load" checked ON ?

If not, both Revit and Navisworks want to "open" the same file  "for writing"

Message 3 of 11

Patrick -

Thank you!  I made sure the option was checked in both Revit Navisworks Exporter settings and Navisworks Manager and now it works like before. 

Message 4 of 11
DMagill
in reply to: TJR-Sundt

Does anyone know if there's been any word from Autodesk as to why this option is unchecked, by default?

Message 5 of 11
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: DMagill

It has to do with Performance: If you force the NWC file to be closed upon load, than you force the NWC file to be loaded completely before the next file is loaded or the interface is given free.
If it is unchecked, you can start to navigate even when the NWC files are only partially loaded.
But I agree that it should be checked by default, certainly for Navisworks Freedom.
Message 6 of 11
wdietz

I have this same issue in Navisworks 2014. Where I have appended multiple Recap files and at some point after loading the RCP files I am no longer able to save the file anymore.  Error message "Can't open file.nwf for writing". I have worked around this by creating multiple nwf file to bring recap or point cloud files into Navis.

Message 7 of 11
dnenov
in reply to: wdietz

Yea, that doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Pardon me - that works, but you need to restart your Navisworks. So make sure that you close and open the program after you made the change on the Navisworks side!

So just to sum it up - both programs will come with default setting switched off. On the Revit side, you can switch it on when exporting (using the Navisworks Exporter from the Add-Ins). On the Navisworks side, however, you would want to change that (from big N, options (bottom right), Model, Performance .. ) and RESTART before the change takes effect. 

Thank you.

Message 8 of 11
DMagill
in reply to: dnenov

So, Autodesk... the default setting will continue to be set incorrectly...

Is it company policy to ensure that the customers' wishes be denied, or is it simply that the customers are too stupid to understand the reasonings behind the default settings?

Message 9 of 11
DMagill
in reply to: DMagill

This has only been an issue for four years. Let it go, dude.

Message 10 of 11
syed.mep

Hi,

If you are exporting NWC from Revit and trying to update the NWC whenever changes in Revit it will not work, It will work only if you open Revit file directly in Navis then once you update the model in Revit go to Navis just press F5 you can see the changes directly.

Regards,

SYED

@TJR-Sundt wrote:

When I was working in Revit 2013 and Navis 2013 I was able to have my revit model open and my navis model open at the same time and then export from Revit to Navisworks.  Then I would just refresh my Navis file to show the newest changes.  This always worked without any issues.

Now that I am working in 2014 I am having the hardest time getting this to work.  I don't like having to shut down Navisworks every time I want to export my Revit Model to see my changes.  I have checked all the settings in my Navisworks setting (in revit) and made sure that my 2013 and 2014 settings are the same. I have also done this in Navisworks, made sure all the settings/options are the same.  Every time I export my revit model to Navis I get the attached image.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

navisworks can't save.jpg

Message 11 of 11

it s works in Naviswork 2019 also!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report