Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor to Navisworks, SERIOUS PROBLEM, Element fails to be translated!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
atsvense
3181 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor to Navisworks, SERIOUS PROBLEM, Element fails to be translated!

We recently upgraded to NavisWorks 2011,Manage and Simulate.

Our use are mainly publishing Inventor CAD files to Navis NWD format files.

After installation of SP1 + Subscription Advantage pack,

( Last one, to be able of avoiding translation of "Work-surfaces", there is a switch for "Convert Work-Surfaces" ON / OF  in the file reader Invntor settings here)

Ref. this previous post / solution:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Navisworks/NavisWorks-Manage-SP1-trouble-for-Inventor/td-p/25...

After this upgrade, we experience a lot of inventor parts, that disappears during translation / conversion to Navis.....

This has become a serious problem for us, and need a quick solution.

Going back to plain 2011 installation w.o. Advantage pack, are not an option, since our models contains a lot of work- surfaces, an will be messy / unreadable.

Smiley Sad

Pls, see attached picture, that gives an example of parts disappears from Inventor to Navisworks

Any solution / fix here will be highly appreciated.

Brg.

Sven Atle

atsvense@online.no

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
atsvense
in reply to: atsvense

Update!

Some creative idea crossed my mind.....   Smiley Wink

and could be a workaround until this problem are being corrected.

1.   From inventor, and current assembly,  choose Export to DWF format

2a. Convert this new DWXF to NWD using NavisWorks,for for use in NWF, as before.

2b. Alternative, Append the new DWXF file into the NWF file in NavisWorks

This works, but we still would prefere a hotfix for NavisWorks here. 

Brg.

Sven Atle

atsvense@online.no

Message 3 of 8
JeffH_ADSK

Hi there,

We're aware of this issue and looking at ways to address it. Given that we have had users complain about work surfaces being brought through, and also users complain that they aren't brought through in conversion, it is likely this will take the form of a global option for Inventor conversion.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 4 of 8

Hi Jeff

Do you know when you are able to fix this? We use NW to verify design from various CAD sources. Normally the designer creates the NWD file and will notice right away if components are missing, but what if some parts in a large model are missing and it passes the visual inspection? The collision control might report no problems when there in fact are several.

Short term the work around is fine, but there must be a permanent solution.

Cheers

Tore

Message 5 of 8

Hi there,

I've just confirmed that the option whether to convert Work Surfaces is available both in the Navisworks 2011 Subscription Pack and in Navisworks 2012. It defaults to Off, but turning it on should allow you to get work surfaces in from Inventor.

If you wish, you can set up Navisworks on larger projects to retrieve common global options from a project directory; this would avoid each user having to specify conversion settings.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 6 of 8
Tore.Eek-Jensen

I'm not sure if you understand the problem. Advantage pack solves the problem to turn of workfaces during import, but introduces a problem where some parts dissappears during imports.Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 8
atsvense

Hi  Jeff

We are aware of this, regarding Work surfaces ,

But this are not the problem here, Please read my first post again, and have a look at attached pictures.

The problem now, when running with Advantage pack, and work surfaces translation turned off.

Navis works fail to translate many of the ordinary Inventor parts.

So this is the new issue, that needs to be fixed asap.

Thanks .

Message 8 of 8

Ah, right - that is indeed a separate problem, and unrelated to the work surfaces global option. The original post was not very clear and seemed to be referring to the option, and when I queried internally as to whether we'd already got this issue logged, it was mistakenly assumed to be only about the option. Sorry for the confusion.

Please log an issue about this with Autodesk Support where it can be handled with the priority it needs - in particular, it would be good to know what variables have changed where parts have gone missing e.g. is it literally just the upgrade of Navisworks with Advantage Pack, has there been any change in Inventor (settings or version), and so on. I don't know the precise details of the change, but my understanding of the work surfaces option work was just turning back on what had been present in NW2010 SP1, but via an option.

I will also follow up internally to see if I can find out what has changed, but please log a support issue about it for visibility.

Thanks,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report