Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export/View Clash locations to dwg

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1690 Views, 14 Replies

Export/View Clash locations to dwg

I have a dwg file exported to nwd & performed a clash control there are say n number of clashes. There is a report generated showing the X, Y, Z location of the clash with a snapshot of the clash.
The problem I am facing is the elements which are clashing are similar and many of them at various location in the drawing it is very hard to locate the position in DWG in which area the clash has occurred just by seeing the snap shot.
Using layers it’s not possible as all are in same layers.
To locate every clash by entering coordinates is also not practical as there will be 1000's of clashes

Is there a way to locate these positions of clashes directly in DWG?
----------
I just thought of exporting only the elements which are clashing by hiding others to DWF & then xref them in DWG file but i have not done such kind of activity earlier can any one suggest if this is possible.
----------

Regards,
Raghavendra Bhat
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have encounter the same problem with the Clash Point. Any ideas to go around this or have you figure it out?
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

yes!

Just export the coordinates to text file from Navisworks sort out only the coordinates as seen in the image below.

Use the "text to columns feature" in Excel to cut out the unnecessary data & insert a column before the points & type in "points" in front of all the points now save as this in a text file .

Open the text file copy all the data & directly past it into AutoCAD. Points at the location of clashes will be generated. Use "ddptype" to increase the size of points & locate them easily.

Hope it works for you!

Regards,
Raghavendra Bhat
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks for the response, I have follow your instructions and it seems like the only issue I encounter
copying all the data from the Txt.file and pasting into ACAD, some how all points are created in the 0 axis plane.
Shouldn't they be place in the x,y,z coodinates?
Message 5 of 15
JeffH_ADSK

Hi Raghavendra,

I'm glad you've found a suitable way of doing this. I just wanted to point out a potential alternative that you might find more straightforward depending on your workflow. If you run both Navisworks and AutoCAD at the same time, you should be able to load the DWG concurrently in Navisworks and AutoCAD and use Navisworks' Switchback function to locate the entity from Navisworks to AutoCAD. Run the NWLOAD command inside AutoCAD to load the Switchback plugin. Right-click on an entity in Navisworks and select Switchback. You should find AutoCAD's view has been set to show the relevant entity and that it has been selected automatically.

I hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Jeff,

I was successful!! to use the alternative method, it's straightforward.

Question: How do ya'll distribute clashes to others with point locations on clashes?

This Swithback function will only works for my side, how about a person only using Freedom or ACAD?

Thanks

George
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Jeff,

That was one Valuable solution! Thanks a lot i shall try it.

Regards,
Raghavendra Bhat
Message 8 of 15
JeffH_ADSK

Hi George,

Unfortunately there is no way to do the same thing via Freedom/ACAD directly. How to handle clashes and how to communicate them is something we have had raised a great deal, and we intend to look into how to best support this.

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 9 of 15
JamesMaeding

I'll write a lisp for this so you can select any report and draw 3d circles in acad. Maybe I add 3d text for layers or something too.

stay tuned

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 10 of 15
JamesMaeding

this lisp draws circles of radius 2.0, you can tweak to change or draw spheres or something.

Message 11 of 15

Hi jmaeding

Befor i try this out,

what report should I create with Manage. A Clash Results Report or a Viewpoints XML Report ?

Could you describe your process step by step ?

Thanks in advance

Message 12 of 15

sure, I am outputting a text file report, so lines look like this:

Name: Clash1

Distance: ft

Image Location: 

Clash Point: 119153.15ft, 106778.39ft, 190.98ft

------------------

Name: Clash2

Distance: ft

Image Location: 

Clash Point: 119230.15ft, 107842.23ft, 198.66ft

------------------

and so on.

You can have any data in the text file besides just clash point.

Here is what the lisp does:

1) asks for text file

2) loops through the lines of the text file, and finds ones starting with "Clash Point: "

3) extracts the 3d coordinate in that line

4) draws a circle at the coordinate.

So you should make the clash report as text file, load the lisp (drag in from explorer), run IMPORTNWCONF at command line, then pick the text file. (be sure to have ucs on world, and osnaps off...)

It will draw circles on the current layer.

Some variattions we could do are to put the circles on different layers depending on clearance or some other info in the report.

You tell me what to do using the data in the report, and I can mod the lisp to do so.

You might want a block inserted instead of a cricle drawn, all that is easy and I have done it for other progs in my toolbox.

My needs were kind of simple, just a circle.

Note that you can then pull the 3d circles back into navisworks, for whatever visualization helps you.

Maybe spheres or text with clearances would help, you name it.

Message 13 of 15
Jeweler

just a question, can you used switch back if you dont have the original dwg file?

often times we recieved nwd file from our clients but they dint want to issue the dwg files.

Message 14 of 15

We have also developed a tool for Revit :

https://bimone.ca/Apps/Product?productId=2

The 3D spheres can be exported to AutoCAD.

Message 15 of 15
stanley
in reply to: JamesMaeding

Dear jmaeding,

Your lisp was very useful for us. Can you help to modify a bit as the clash sphere as a block and with the name for identify of the clashes ( eg. ECS vs EL clash no x...)

Many Many Thanks for your kindly help!

Blessing,

Stanley

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report