Re: Drawings from NavisWorks Freedom

09-25-2012 02:05 AM in reply to: rsloyer

I also do see the need,

and i;m also in the piper business.

If your Equiment models are deleiverd as DWG files out of Inventor

and the Steelwork are IFC files from Tekla

and the piping is in PDS or PDMS

and the architecture is in ....

in which tool are you going to make the drawings and review and clash detect where the equipment has to be located.

Navisworks, right.

and you cannot get out a decent 2D plan that states how it should be erected ?

ted.moberg
Message 12 of 22 (236 Views)

Drawings from NavisWorks

06-17-2013 12:04 PM in reply to: rsloyer

We are a multi discipline office Civil, Structural, Architectural, Mechanical, Process and Controls.  We use AutoCAD, AutoCAD Plant 3D and three flavors of Revit.  We currently produce 2D deliverable sheets on our typical projects from 2 and sometimes three different applications.  As much as we try, the sheets look slightly different.  Producing 2D sheets from NavisWorks would be a fantastic.

Or move Plant 3D to the Revit family like it should have been in the first place.

Valued Contributor sta
Valued Contributor
sta
Message 13 of 22 (232 Views)

06-18-2013 05:53 AM in reply to: StoneCap

I use to really desire this feature in Navisworks as well it would be great to click a button and produce coordination drawings however I feel that it would never be that easy and would complicate things. We already have tools to produce drawings. Each trade or whoever is producing the model should be able to produce a set of drawings in there respective modeling software for there trade. These all can be combined in AutoCAD or Revit for the overlaying of everything and even isometric views. You can do your clash detection in navisworks and keep the drawing in Revit/AutoCAD.

Active Contributor
Drafter1981
Message 14 of 22 (220 Views)

07-09-2013 06:56 PM in reply to: StoneCap

O.K...

I just want to clarify what is being asked.

Can Navisworks Export a file in "DWG", DXF, or PDF format?

Basically, I need to a specific yes or no answer.

If we can also get some clarification about why you can, or can not get an exportable format that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 15 of 22 (217 Views)

07-09-2013 07:00 PM in reply to: Drafter1981

No, it can't.  Thats not the job of the software, especially since the originating software can (and and does) do a much better job.  Consider how much work and install size would be required to get the features of AutoCAD, and Revit, and Inventor, and everything else into Navisworks.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Active Contributor
Drafter1981
Message 16 of 22 (209 Views)

07-09-2013 08:40 PM in reply to: dgorsman

dgorsman,

Thank you.

Not going to get into the detail but I seems as if my straightforward answer was not good enough.

Thanks again,

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
ted.moberg
Message 17 of 22 (196 Views)

Re: Drawings from NavisWorks

07-10-2013 06:41 AM in reply to: dgorsman

The issue (for my company) is not exporting a file type, or recreating a design tool inside NavisWorks, you are correct that would be silly, It is 2D orthographic contractual deliverables files that are the actual sheets of paper, the stuff the contractor has in his hands when the project is getting built. 

Now those sheet are produced from Revit, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, AutoCAD Plant 3D and possibly others and as much as we try to get all of the sheets to look like they came from one company it is a challenge to make sure our title blocks and annotation look consistent from all of the different applications different departments in our company and outside contractors. 

I agree it wouldn’t work for everyone.  A single discipline company would produce sheets from the App they use.  There is no one application that can Design everything.  They each do their job very well.  But when you are producing a project that has as many as 6 different Disciplines using 4 or 5 different design tools, using NavisWorks to produce those sheets would give you the ability to create a consistent set of drawings that look like they came from one source.  It could be a standalone flavor on NavisWorks.  Call it NavisWorks DRAFT. 

Cheers!

Ted-

Active Contributor
rsloyer
Message 18 of 22 (194 Views)

07-10-2013 06:45 AM in reply to: ted.moberg

Ted, we have essentially the same issue but from the Contractor's side.  Owners want 2D deliverables, and will for a long time to come.  When they require BIM/VDC, or just require coordination, from the Contractor they want "proof" and the proof they want is 2D drawings.  Whether or not that is the best means to convey the information or prove that the coordination has happened is irrelevent.

I cannot get a DWF out of Navisworks, not 2013 or 2014.  The program crashes when I try.  I would be willing to try and work with the DWF, but the program can't even give me that.

If there is another, better, tool for producing the 2D record drawings I'm all for it, I just don't knowwhat that tool is, especially when dealing with trade-specific fabrication softwares and CAD plugins.  Revit won't read all of those files all the time.

Valued Contributor sta
Valued Contributor
sta
Message 19 of 22 (187 Views)

07-10-2013 07:23 AM in reply to: rsloyer
rsloyer, how do you guys handle it from a contractors side? Do you have all of the subcontractors create 2d drawings based off the model that they have submitted for coordination?
Active Contributor
rsloyer
Message 20 of 22 (186 Views)

07-10-2013 07:29 AM in reply to: sta

In terms of each sub's submittals/shop-drawings, they each produce 2D drawings from their models.  This has been going on for years with ductwork, fire protection, and structural steel.  Plumbing and electrical subs traditionally did not submit field/shop drawings for layout, but now that they participate in BIM/VDC they can if required.

The stumbling block, for me, is producing the record set with all the trades in one 2D drawing.  I would never do this unless required by the Ownera and our contract, but several of our Owners have required it.  I have done this in Revit in the past but it is extremely slow and Revit bogs down horribly, and I have a file now on a current project that won't open in Revit at all so even the slow process won't work (not to mention the project is extremely complicated and would probably bog down even worse).

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Have API Questions?
New Dedicated Forum for Navisworks API

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community