Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Search sets outside of Navisworks?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
camilla
1516 Views, 4 Replies

Create Search sets outside of Navisworks?

I have a table with 600+ values, each corresponding to one unique object in my NW-model. I need to have each object in a separate set. Is there a way to create my searchsets-xml outside of NW and not have to enter each value into NW? Apart from the Value, all other search critieria are the same (i.e Category; Property; Condition)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: camilla

Thats what XML is designed for - creation, consumption, and modifications by different sources without knowing what they are.  If you know what the structure is you can create the XML equivalent, or start with a template and mofify it as necessary.

Automatically bringing those into Navisworks... that will probably require a plug-in to be built.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 5
camilla
in reply to: dgorsman

I do know what it should look like - but I don't know how to create the xml-file. I figure, as long as the finished result looks like the file that Navisworks itself creates, there should be no problem importing it.

Also what confuses me, is that a GUID gets written into my xml-export... I've done some of the searches manually to have a template to look at. I don't know if this is the object's GUID, or if the search set gets a GUID, but I suspect it will be difficult to write a correct xml-code either way? See exctract below.

<selectionset name="G95_0281PUA_138-W22-25" guid="b42b0dd9-211c-4da6-a261-e295b3686af7">
          <findspec mode="all" disjoint="0">
            <conditions>
              <condition test="contains" flags="10">
                <category>
                  <name internal="lcldrvm_props">PDMS</name>
                </category>
                <property>
                  <name internal="lcldrvm_prop_pipe_no">Pipe_No</name>
                </property>
                <value>
                  <data type="wstring">G95_0281PUA_138-W22-25</data>
                </value>
              </condition>
            </conditions>
            <locator>/</locator>
          </findspec>
        </selectionset>

Message 4 of 5
JeffH_ADSK
in reply to: camilla

The GUID is the unique ID of the selection set. However you can omit the GUID entry and Navisworks will generate a new one.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 5 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: JeffH_ADSK

It does for me, I was thinking about generating a GUID since the XML would be generated programmatically anyways.  Generating the GUID would also have the benefit of being able to uniquely identify the selection sets outside of Navisworks as well as inside, avoiding the classic problem of "Why do I have 3 search sets all named XXXXX?".

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report